I make no apologies for stuffing spaghetti bolognese into bread rolls, it tastes good, especially with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. A quick and easy kid-friendly dinner.
A bolognese sloppy joe is a great way to use up any leftover bolognese or you could, if you fancy, just make the bolognese with or without the spaghetti and serve it this way anyway (did I mention it tastes good?)
How to cook up a quick pan of bolognese sauce
Tastes so good!
- splash of olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 400g minced beef
- 2 cartons of chopped tomatoes with basil (we use Cirio)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- spaghetti, crusty bread rolls and Parmesan cheese to serve
- Add a splash of olive oil to a saucepan, tip in the garlic and onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the mince and brown over a low heat.
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes and oregano.
- Bring the pan to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook with the lid on for around 20 minutes.
- When the bolognese has just 10 minutes left to cook, cook the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Mix the spaghetti and bolognese together and serve stuffed into crusty bread rolls with Parmesan shavings.
Make sloppy joes your way
- Skip the Italian seasoning and throw in some chilli powder and ground cumin and go with a Mexican flavour.
- Keep them plain and skip the seasoning all together.
How to serve sloppy joes
- We like our bolognese sloppy joes served in crusty white rolls with Parmesan and a salad on the side.
- You could serve these with our without the pasta.
- Try them in toasted ciabatta rolls.