It’s feeling like spring and I’m feeling like lightening up the meals. This grilled vegetable sandwich recipe is just bursting with Mediterranean colours and flavours as well as being light and wholesome.
To make the grilled vegetable sandwich you just need to grill some wedges of pepper and courgette – throw a couple of slices of aubergine under the grill too if you fancy.
Meanwhile cut a couple of thick slices of ciabatta and add a handful of rocket, lay on the grilled vegetables add a handful of black olives and drizzle over a simple pesto dressing made by mixing together just a teaspoon of pesto with a teaspoon of olive oil.
Quick wholesome lunch that's bursting with sunshine flavours.
- 2 thick slices of ciabatta or sourdough bread
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- 1/2 red pepper sliced into wedges or mix of orange and red peppers.
- 1/2 courgette sliced
- handful of black olives
- 1 tsp of pesto
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Heat the grill or griddle pan to high - put the courgettes and peppers under/on to cook - they should take around 5-7 minutes. Turn frequently.
- Meanwhile place the bread onto a plate and add the rocket.
- Slide on the cooked vegetables and add the olives.
- Mix together the pesto and olive oil and drizzle over the sandwich.
Make it your way…
- Add in some cheese – mozzarella, halloumi or feta work well.
- Add spice with a sprinkling of chilli flakes.
- Use different flavours of pesto.
- Switch the rocket for baby leaf spinach or watercress.