We’re continuing our spring cleaning series with the playroom. Giving the playroom a good spring clean is a really great way of not only having a good cleaning and organisation session but also getting rid of things that are outgrown and unwanted. It’s much easier for kids to play if they can access their toys themselves and they can actually see what they have.
I do champion green cleaning where possible and when cleaning the playroom or kids bedrooms I think it’s particularly important to keep cleaning products as natural and non-toxic as possible. I like to use the Method French Lavender Multi Surface Cleaner, Ecover washing up liquid in buckets of warm water and Method Squirt & Mop Floor Cleaner in Lemon & Ginger and homemade natural window cleaner.
To do a spring clean in the playroom you’re probably looking at a full days work especially if the kids are helping! Start at the top and work down.
Things you’ll need to spring clean the playroom
- cleaning cloths
- surface cleaner – I like Method Multi-Surface Cleaner in French Lavender it smells divine and you can clean most surfaces with it.
- window cleaner – you can make your own natural window cleaner this leaves glass streak free.
- vacuum cleaner
- mop & bucket – floor cleaner
- bags/boxes for rubbish and clutter to give away
- The Daisies & Pie Spring Clean the Playroom Checklist
How to spring clean the playroom
- Dust cornice or ceiling features.
- Take down light fittings and clean then return.
- Windows – clean curtains as per washing instructions, vacuum and wipe down blinds, vacuum window vents, wash the windows and clean the windowsills.
- Toys & cupboards – get out all the toys, go through them and sort out what is still wanted, played with and not outgrown. Get rid of any toys no longer needed or wanted, clean all the toys. This is a job that kids LOVE to help with. Fill washing up bowls or plastic crates with warm soapy water and let the kids wash the toys – this is great done in the garden on a sunny day where the toys can dry outside too. Wash any dressing up clothes and soft toys that can be washed in the washing machine and line dry outside. Vacuum and clean the insides of cupboards and toy boxes. Put away all the toys neatly (like kinds together) where they can be easily accessed and tidied away by the kids.
- Declutter and clean all surfaces.
- Vacuum under and behind all furniture.
- Vacuum and wipe down all woodwork, doors, door frame and skirting boards.
- Vacuum the sofa, underneath any loose cushions and down any crevices.
- Wash/dry clean throws and cushion covers. If switching to spring/summer throws and cushions then store winter ones away neatly.
- Vacuum/dry clean/steam clean (as per instructions) any carpets or rugs.
- Vacuum and mop floors.
Get the printable Spring Clean the Playroom Checklist.