Cirio sent over some of their delicious tomato products for me to have a play with. I must admit it is the brand I usually buy, their tinned tomatoes always without fail are thick, flavoursome and sweet tasting, practically a sauce in themselves before I even start to add extra ingredients.
My kids like to add toppings to this pasta dish, so I put out little bowls of grated parmesan cheese, mini mozzarella balls, shredded ham, fresh basil and black olives for them to help themselves to.
Deliciously easy pasta recipe
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 300g orchiaetta pasta
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- sat and pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil to a large non-stick wok style pan, one with a lid. Tip in the garlic and onions and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, pasta, vegetable stock, tomato puree and herbs, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and put the lid on.
- Cook for around 15-20 minutes. Stir a couple of times and if necessary add more stock.
Make it your way…
- Add a little heat with a pinch of red chilli flakes.
- Make more of it by stirring through tinned tuna and a handful of black olives 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Up the veggies by stirring through a tin of borlotti beans and a couple of handfuls of fresh spinach leaves.
- Fab for busy weeknights, especially as you can can let all the kids add in the toppings they like at the table, great for picky eaters.
- It tastes great cold next day, so pack up any leftovers in a lunchbox and take them with you.
Disclosure: the Cirio tomatoes used in this recipe were sent over free of charge from Cirio.