We’ve teamed up with Iceland to use the #PowerofFrozen to entertain the kids this summer. During the summer holidays all my kids do is eat, eat, eat. Coming up with endless meals and snacks can be hard work, so I’ve cut myself some slack and taken the easy option.
I’ve got the kids busy in the kitchen creating their own mini taco bar. Our really easy chicken tacos are just so simple to throw together. Even young children will be able to help out with making these.
We used Iceland Ready Cooked Chargrilled Chicken Strips for our tacos. These are really convenient to use, you tip out the quantity you need, then you can either just defrost them and eat them cold, or warm them in the microwave for 3 minutes 30 seconds. We used them warm so that when we added the cheese would go nice and melty.
Kids love to help out with making lunch and preparing healthy fresh veggies is a great job for them, just be careful to supervise them with the knives.
These are just so easy!
- 300g Iceland Ready Cooked Chargrilled Chicken Strips
- 8 small soft flour tortillas
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce
- 1 red pepper
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 50g mild cheddar cheese grated
- mayonnaise, bbq sauce and ketchup to serve
- Wash and prepare the veggies with the kids.
- Grate the cheese.
- Tip the chicken strips onto a plate in a single layer, cover with cling film, pierce it several times and microwave on full power for 3 minutes 30 seconds.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave, they take around 40 seconds.
- Put all the taco ingredients in little bowls and let the kids make up their own taco using the toppings they like.
Make it your way…
- The Iceland ready cooked chicken strips also come in tikka and chilli & lime flavour, so you could make a spicier version just as easily.
- Make it go further by adding a side of oven fries or wedges, from the freezer they’ll be cooked in less than 20 minutes.
- Try different taco toppings, sweetcorn, spicy jalapeño, avocado or shredded red cabbage all work well.
- Good for when the kids have friends over.
- Great for busy days when you just want to get the food on the table.
- Fab for cooking with kids as the chicken is already cooked so you’ve no worries about them spreading raw chicken bugs all around the kitchen…
You might also like our handy little list of freezer essentials – great to have in stock when cooking for a family.
Disclaimer – this is a sponsored post on behalf of Iceland, for full details of my disclosure policy please read here.