Get the kids playing outdoors whatever the weather, rain or shine. In fact the more rain the better when mud pies are concerned.
Make the outdoors more appealing for your little mess monsters and give them the tools they need to be creative, explore and learn more about nature.
A mud pie station has been high on our list of things to create since “nursery have a really cool mud pie station with things and sticks and everything”.
You can create your own mud pie station really easily in the smallest of gardens or even on a balcony! You don’t need very much, in fact it’s better to repurpose items wherever you can. Empty plastic bottles, old pans, spoons, sticks and containers are all fab for including. Take a look around the house I’ll bet you can find most of what you need just lying about.
What you need:
- A small bench, stool or upturned crate to use as a work surface.
- A washing up bowl or old plastic mixing bowl.
- A selection of old spoons, containers, buckets, pans, funnels, sticks and bottles.
- Mud… if you’ve only got a small garden or balcony you may need to just have a pot of soil by the mud pie station that can be used.
- Watering can – you can buy kids watering cans cheaply or make a milk bottle watering can for free!
- A crate, basket or bucket for holding all your mud pie station tools.
- If creating a mud pie station on a balcony or small yard – add a dustpan and brush to the list for a quick tidy up at the end of play.
What you do:
- Arrange all your mud pie station things so they can be easily reached by your child.
- Let them get on and play – easy!