Our chicken and sweetcorn pie is delicious and really easy to make, proper comfort food. It’s quick enough for weeknight cooking and kids love the combination of chicken and sweetcorn, so this pie is always a winner. Cheating with the pastry makes it quicker and easier to make and I just love lazy cooking.
Really easy and totally delicious family dinner.
- 2 sticks of celery - sliced
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 2 carrots - sliced
- 400g diced chicken breast
- 1 tin of sweetcorn
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 200ml chicken stock
- 200ml milk
- handful of grated cheese - I use parmesan
- sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- splash of olive oil
- splash of milk for brushing the pastry
- salt and pepper
- Add a splash of olive oil to a saucepan and gently fry the celery, onion and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, thyme and stock, season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then simmer with the lid on for around 15-20 minutes.
- Whilst it simmers, preheat the oven to 200C.
- Add the sweetcorn and milk to the pie mix. If it needs thickening, just do it with a tsp of cornflour mixed into a drop of water and stirred through the chicken pie filling.
- Tip the whole lot into a pie dish, if you're using cheese, sprinkle it over the top of the pie filling now.
- Top with the pastry sheet and brush with milk.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until the pastry is cooked through and browning.
Make it your way…
- add in a couple of handfuls of cooked ham.
- use coconut milk instead of plain milk.
- use a mix of sweetcorn and peas.
- midweek dinner with oven fries.
- skip the pastry and eat the pie filling spooned into baked potatoes.
- try making it for Sunday lunch instead of roast dinner, serve with roast potatoes and garlicky greens.