Sticky Szechuan Beef is a lovely quick meal idea perfect for dinner – ideal for a busy weeknight when you are short on time but wanting big flavour. I’ve said it before but I do like things hot so I pile on the chillies and am a little over generous with the szechuan pepper.
The sweet stickiness of the honey combines deliciously with the heat of the chillies and peppers. This meal packs great flavour and is zingy bright and colourful. Just what you need at the end of a busy day.
Lovely sticky spicy beef stir fry with rice - great midweek meal
- 350g steak - thinly sliced
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- a splash of sesame oil
- 1 tsp szechuan pepper
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- small head of broccoli - pulled into small bitesize pieces
- red chilli - finely sliced
- 4 spring onions - sliced
- 1 clove of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 pepper - finely sliced
- rice to serve - I often use a microwave rice sachet for serving with this recipe just to be speedy.
- a scattering of lightly toasted crushed peanuts or cashews.
- Make a quick marinade - mix the honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, szechuan pepper, sesame seeds and five spice together in a bowl and add the steak strips.
- Whilst these marinate - prepare the vegetables.
- Heat a splash of sesame oil in a large wok style pan and add the steak slices - let them sizzle and cook through, turning just a little sticky and caramelised. After 8-10 minutes remove from the pan and just keep to one side.
- Add another splash of sesame oil to the pan and throw in the garlic, onions, chilli, pepper and broccoli - briskly stir fry for 5-6 minutes until just tender. Add the beef back to the pan and mix everything together.
- Quickly toast the nuts in a dry frying pan and bash in a pestle & mortar.
Divide the rice and sticky szechuan beef between two plates - scatter over the toasted nuts. I add a few extra slices of red chilli and as scattering of szechuan pepper. It’s also nice served with a little portion of prawn crackers.