Sweet potato soup with sage is delicious, warming and perfect for a frosty day, add a few grilled cheese and chutney dippers and it just takes your lunch up a notch.
And our roasted sweet potato soup is just so easy to make, simply roast the vegetables in the oven and then blitz with vegetable stock. Easy and quick with a much punchier robust flavour than simmering the vegetables in stock.
Warming, comforting soup recipe
- 3 sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 large carrots - peeled and cut into thick batons
- 1 large onion - peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 cloves of garlic - left whole and unpeeled
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp dried sage
- pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Heat the oven to 200C put the vegetables in a roasting tin, pour over the oil and toss to coat everything, sprinkle on the sage, salt and black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for around 30 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
- Remove the tray of vegetables from the oven and take out the cloves of garlic, squeeze the garlic from the skins and add back into the vegetables. Scrape the vegetables into a pan and pour over the hot vegetable stock.
- Blitz using hand blender. Add more stock if soup is too thick.
Pour into bowls and scatter with chives, serve alongside, grilled cheese and chutney dippers.
Make roast sweet potato soup your way…
- skip the sage and use thyme or oregano.
- spice things up with ground cumin and a pinch of chilli flakes.
- add in any root vegetables that need using up – swede, parsnips or even beetroot.
- Fab for lunch on a cold day.
- Pack in a thermos flask and take for lunch at work or out for a winter picnic.