Mashed potato has to be the ultimate autumn – winter comfort food. A creamy mountain of mashed potato makes a great base for loads of different family meals. Served alongside delicious slow cooked casseroles and stews, with bangers and beans or a slice of pie.
But, just in case you were getting bored with your mashed potatoes…. here’s ten ways to flavour them up and take them to the next level. So to start with, mash the potatoes with lots of butter and milk (unless the recipe says otherwise) then go with which ever flavour combo takes your fancy.
creamy mustard mash
- Make me – add a couple of teaspoons of wholegrain mustard and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Eat me – with sausages, chops, grilled chicken, pork or sausage casserole.
pesto and parmesan mash
- Make me – add a couple of tablespoons of green pesto, a drizzle of olive oil and a handful of grated parmesan.
- Eat me – with grilled chicken or fish, hunters chicken stew or garlic roast chicken.
- Make me – gently fry a red onion, shredded greens and crushed garlic, then stir through the mashed potatoes with teaspoon of wholegrain mustard.
- Eat me – with sausages, casseroles or topped with a poached egg.
caramelised onion and cheddar mash
- Make me – add 2-3 handfuls of grated cheddar and 2-3 tablespoons of caramelised onion chutney and stir through the creamy mashed potatoes.
- Eat me – with sausages, chicken casserole, chilli con carne or spicy grilled chicken.
bacon, cheddar and chive mash
- Make me – stir 3 handfuls of grated cheddar cheese, 6 slices of bacon fried and diced and a handful of chopped chives into the mashed potatoes.
- Eat me – with grilled chicken, sausages or pesto crust cod fillets.
thai coconut mash
- Make me – swap the ordinary milk for coconut milk when making the basic mashed potato and stir through a couple of spoonfuls of thai curry paste.
- Eat me – with a spicy thai prawn curry, alongside spicy chicken or with thai vegetable stew.
vegetable loaded mash
- Make me – cook up a mix of potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, swede and parsnips. Then mash with olive oil, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Eat me – with sausages, vegetarian chilli or alongside roast dinner.
hot and spicy curried mash
- Make me – stir through a couple of spoonfuls of your favourite curry paste – we love tikka mash.
- Eat me – with your favourite curry, alongside sausages or casseroles.
garlic and shallot
- Make me – fry up 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic and 5-6 chopped shallots in butter and then stir it through the mashed potatoes.
- Eat me – with roast chicken, alongside herby salmon or cod, with a rich beef casserole.
soured cream and jalapeño
- Make me – add a tub of soured cream and a handful of chopped jalapeño to the mashed potatoes.
- Eat me – with chilli con carne, alongside spicy Mexican chicken, with vegetable & bean chilli.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Get more potato recipes here
Get loads more tasty vegetable dishes here