I really like to make Amatriciana pasta sauce with Heston Syrup & Stout streaky bacon it gives a lovely mellow flavour to the dish, just perfect.
- 6-8 rashers of bacon - cut into thin strips
- clove of garlic - finely chopped
- small onion - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- olive oil, salt & pepper
- 400g penne
- Grated parmesan to serve
- Add a good splash of olive oil to a large non-stick frying pan over a low heat.
- Tip in the garlic, onion & bacon and cook gently for 10 minutes until browning nicely.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar and chilli flakes and bring to the boil - then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid off for around 20 minutes.
- When the pasta sauce has around 10 minutes left to cook put the penne on - bring to the boil a large pan of water, add a good pinch of salt and a swirl of olive oil, once it’s bubbling add the penne. Bring the pan back to the boil and then turn down to a simmer - keep the lid off. Stir the penne every few minutes to prevent it from sticking together. Simmer for around 12 minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked drain it using a colander and then tip it into the pan with the amatriciana sauce and toss together until the pasta is well coated.
Divide between the dishes and scatter with parmesan cheese - this is nice served with steamed green beans tossed in olive oil & lemon.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 638mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 18g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.