Crispy, chilli spiked shredded potatoes fried until crisp… What could be better? Our amazing hash browns are just delicious served for brunch or as a little late night supper. Once you’ve made your own hash browns you’ll never go back to buying those frozen ones again.
Real hash browns taste delicious! You can make them using the grater blade on the food processor (or you can grate them with a box grater it’ll just take you longer, but they’ll still taste just as good).
All you need to do is shred the potatoes and onions in the food processor, mix with beaten eggs, a handful of chopped flat leaf parsley, a sliced chilli and season with salt and pepper.
To cook them just fry in a little olive oil – do this slowly over a low heat so they cook nicely throughout, you really don’t want raw potato middles.
Our amazing hash browns are delicious served with topped with poached eggs and crispy streaky bacon and wrong as it seems…. a dollop of homemade spiced up slaw.
Make them your way…
- Cut down the carbs and switch to sweet potatoes
- Skip the chilli for a plain version
- Add a tsp of curry paste for a fiery spicy version
- 4 desiree potatoes peeled
- 1 large onion peeled
- 2 eggs beaten
- handful of chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1-2 red chillies chopped
- salt and pepper
- olive oil to fry
- Put the potatoes and onions through the food processor to shred them.
- Tip the mixture onto a clean dry tea towel and squeeze into a tight ball to force out all the moisture.
- Tip the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the flat leaf parsley, chopped chilli, season well with salt and pepper and pour in the eggs.
- Mix together really well with a fork.
- Heat a puddle of olive oil in a frying pan and using a tablespoon dollop 8 mounds of mixture (you will need two pans these are big hash browns). Flatten the hash brown slightly with the back of the spoon and leave to fry for around 15 minutes over a low heat. This gives the hash brown chance to set and then it won't fall apart when you flip it over to cook the other side.
- After 15 minutes flip the hash browns and cook until the other side is brown and the centre warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.