Delicious little apple and blackberry puffs – this super easy fruit hand pie recipe is just perfect for autumn and using up gathered blackberries.
Apple and blackberry puffs are a super quick and seasonal dessert.
Love cake? Get loads more easy cakes and bakes recipes here!
Filled with autumn fruits and deliciously fragrant cinnamon. These little fruit hand pies are delicious eaten as they are, or served with vanilla ice-cream, custard or a generous dollop of clotted cream.
How to make fruit hand pies
Okay so first up… We cheat and use ready to roll puff pastry, for speed and ease.
The little apple and blackberry puffs are super simple to make.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to around 1cm thickness.
- Using a pasty cutter – cut out circles. I tend to use a pastry cutter that’s around 6cm across. So depending on how big your cutter is depends on how many you can make.
- One one half of the pastry circles lay thinly sliced apples and add a couple of squashed blackberries. Sprinkle over some cinnamon sugar and fold the pastry circle over the top of the fruit filling.
- Using a fork just crimp the edges of the pastry together to seal in the fruit.
- Brush the top of the little fruit hand pie with beaten egg and sprinkle on some more sugar if you like.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes. Or until they are puffy, golden and the fruit is oozing and sticky.
- Carefully remove them from the tray and leave them on a wire rack to cool a little before eating. Because the fruit filling is super hot when they’re fresh from the oven.
Make apple & blackberry puffs your way
- No blackberries – just use any other type of berry or skip them altogether and just do apple.
- Don’t like cinnamon – add a sprinkling of vanilla sugar instead.
- Use shortcrust pastry and turn them into fully enclosed little fruit pies.
More comforting autumn bakes to make
- Sticky Toffee Apple Crumble – just take apple crumble up a notch with our completely dreamy stick toffee apple crumble recipe – oh you’ll just LOVE it!
- Apple & Blackberry Crumble – a traditional autumn fruit crumble with a wholesome oaty crumble topping, this one is perfect with lashings of vanilla custard.
- 1 pack of ready to roll puff pastry
- 2 eating apples - peeled and finely sliced
- 1 handful of blackberries
- 4 heaped tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg - beaten
- Heat the oven to 180C and line a large baking tray with greaseproof baking paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry to around 1cm thick.
- Cut out circles of pastry using a large biscuit cutter or small saucer.
- On one half of the pastry circles place a layer of the apple slices and squash a blackberry or two on top.
- Sprinkle the fruit with sugar and cinnamon to suit your own tastes.
- Fold over the pastry circle and brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for around 15 - 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the fruit squishy.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack as the fruit is super hot fresh from the oven.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save or share our delicious apple and blackberry hand pies on Pinterest!
Get all our easy dessert recipes here
Get more fruit ideas and fresh fruit recipes here