There’s some delicious British produce on the shelves during May. It’s a season of absolute treats. From asparagus to watercress and not forgetting Jersey Royals and plump mouthwateringly juicy British strawberries – it’s all too good!
And I just love asparagus season, tasty vibrant asparagus pairs so perfectly with strong peppery watercress for a really simple rustic laid back meal of Italian bruschetta. Great as a starter or as a simple, fresh healthy lunch.
Make bruschetta your way
- switch the toppings for tomatoes and torn mozzarella, add a pinch of chilli flakes for extra zing.
Our asparagus & watercress bruschetta were featured in The Express.
- sourdough loaf - enough for 2 thick slices each
- garlic clove
- olive oil, salt & pepper
- 500g British asparagus spears
- 110g pack of baby leaf watercress
- 250g mozzarella
- Slice the sourdough loaf into 8 thick slices.
- Cut the asparagus into halves and drizzle the spears with a little olive oil and griddle over a medium-high heat for around 5-6 minutes - shaking the pan regularly.
- Whilst the asparagus is cooking - toast the sourdough slices on both sides
- Rub each slice of sourdough with the raw garlic clove - this grates the garlic onto the bread and gives a lovely flavour.
- Top the bruschetta slices with watercress, torn mozzarella and finally the freshly griddled asparagus - drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 886Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 1902mgCarbohydrates: 129gFiber: 8gSugar: 13gProtein: 42g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.