A totally loaded autumn salad bursting with delicious seasonal flavours. Our autumn cobb salad is easy to make and tastes fantastic and that delicious combination of tender chicken with smoky maple bacon is always a winner.
Delicious autumn salad recipe
- 400g chicken breast strips
- 8 rashers of bacon
- 300g mixed baby tomatoes - quartered
- small butternut squash - peeled and sliced into wedges
- 2 apples - cored and sliced
- 2 little gem lettuces - shredded
- 100g cranberry cheese
- handful of pecans
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 200C and put the butternut squash wedges onto a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and roast in the oven for around 20 minutes - turning them over once.
- Whilst the butternut squash roasts, pan fry the chicken breasts in just a slug of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and thyme. When they're almost cooked add a drizzle of maple syrup so they turn all sticky and caramelised. Pop them on one side whilst you get the rest of the salad ready.
- Grill the bacon and put to one side once cooked.
- To put together the autumn cobb salad - scatter the lettuce leaves over a large plate then line up the ingredients in typical cobb salad style. Go apples, roast squash, tomatoes, chicken, bacon, cranberry cheese and pecans.
- Whisk up the quick balsamic salad dressing by adding the balsamic vinegar and olive oil together, season with a little salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and eat immediately.
Make Autumn Cobb Salad your way
- switch around the veggies to include your favourite autumn vegetables, maybe try sweet potato, different squashes, glazed corn cobs or sweet red peppers.
- go vegetarian and replace the bacon and chicken with good vegetarian sausages and glazed beans, maybe add a row of pumpkin hummus and some more nuts.
How to serve Autumn Cobb Salad
- this is a nice salad for a weekend night or maybe for Sunday dinner.
- leftovers are great next day for lunch.