Oven baked chicken chimichangas make a totally delicious and easy midweek meal. Baking the chimichangas in the oven makes these much healthier than the traditional fried version and piling on the salad can only make things better!
Our chimichangas are packed with refried beans, shredded chicken, homemade roast tomato salsa and just a sprinkling of grated cheese. They take just minutes to put together and if you wanted to, you could make these up in the morning and leave them in the fridge ready to bake at dinner time.
Easy, tasty, healthy midweek dinner.
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 20 mini tortilla wraps
- 400g tin of refried beans
- large pot of salsa (or make your own)
- 100g grated cheese
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Spread the tortilla with a spoonful of refried beans, top with shredded chicken, add a spoonful of salsa and a sprinkling of grated cheese.
- Fold the tortilla wrap, making sure the edges are tucked in so none of the filling leaks out.
- Lightly brush the wrap with olive oil and place onto a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until just turning brown and crisp.
Serve with lots of salad and sweetcorn.
I cook some simple spiced chicken to use in the chimichangas – just make a tin foil parcel, drop in the chicken breasts, add a teaspoon each of ground cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano and olive oil. Seal the parcel and bake at 200C for around 30-40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Then shred and use. You can make this ahead of time and keep overnight in the fridge until ready to use.
You can use shop bought salsa for this recipe to save time or whip up a batch of Mexican Roast Tomato Salsa and use that, it’s worth the effort and tastes delicious.
I make up a batch of this every few days and keep it in the fridge, it makes a nice healthy dip for vegetable sticks, nachos and breadsticks. It’s also delicious in toasted sandwiches.