Just who doesn’t LOVE banana loaf? Delicious cinnamon scented, bananary cake still warm from the oven is super delicious! I kinda love this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream – who’s with me?
How to make banana loaf
Don’t throw away those over-ripe speckled black bananas, turn them into delicious banana loaf – it’s totally the best way to use up old bananas!
Our tasty banana loaf is perfect just served with a cup of tea or glass of milk… but, it’s even nicer fresh from the oven with a large scoop of vanilla ice-cream melting onto it.
Banana loaf is super easy to make, the cake batter can be thrown together and in the oven in no time. This cake makes the house smell totally delicious as it cooks, all warm and cinnamon scented, perfect.
Yummy banana loaf that's perfect for an after school snack.
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g butter
- 3 eggs
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 bananas - peeled and mashed with a fork.
- Heat the oven to 170C and grease a 1lb loaf tin.
- Tip the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat together until soft and creamy.
- Break the eggs in one at a time, mixing each one into the batter thoroughly before adding the next.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and gently stir to combine.
- Add the mashed banana and mix altogether.
- Tip the cake mixture into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for around 50 minutes until when you insert a skewer it comes out clean.
What to serve with banana bread
Well… banana bread is pretty perfect just as it is, still warm from the oven with a cup of tea works for me, but I do also love it eaten with…
- warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream
- cold with warm vanilla custard
- just sliced with a cup of tea or glass of milk
How long does banana loaf keep?
You can keep banana loaf wrapped in foil to stop it drying out and store in an air tight container at room temperature for 2 days – otherwise it’ll keep for around 4 days in the fridge – if you’ve not eaten it before then!
How to stop banana bread from drying out
Keep the banana loaf wrapped in foil – if it does get a little dry I tend to just slice and serve with custard as dessert after dinner – the custard works so well!
Ways to use up over-ripe bananas
- Banana loaf
- Banana oatmeal cookies – recipe from Life, Love & Sugar