The kids just love this BBQ chicken pasta and I love that it’s got ‘hidden’ veg in the sauce which is great for getting more veggies into my youngest, pickiest child.
It’s really simple to make but you do need a food processor (or the patience to chop veggies really tiny). We make up a delicious BBQ pasta sauce first, then just simmer the chicken in it for 30 minutes. Great for busy weeknights.
Easy kids dinner recipe for busy weeknights.
- 300g diced chicken breast
- 1 small onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 red pepper - finely sliced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- splash of olive oil
- cooked pasta to serve
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan and brown the chicken pieces over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile blitz the carrot and onion in the food processor, tip in the chopped tomatoes, BBQ sauce and honey and pulse a few times until you have a smooth sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, add the peppers and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes
- When there's 15 minutes remaining cook the pasta as per the packet instructions, drain and mix in with the BBQ chicken sauce.
- Serve in dishes.
Make BBQ chicken pasta your way
- Add in different veggies.
- Go spicy with a pinch of chilli flakes.
- Switch the chicken for turkey.
- Dot with mozzarella and brown under the grill as a cheat pasta bake.
How to serve BBQ chicken pasta
- Serve with pasta or rice.
- Midweek dinner.
- Leftovers cold next day.