We’ve used simple salt dough which is a really versatile homemade craft product to create this beautiful salt dough heart bunting. A brilliant craft to tie into celebrating Valentine’s Day or just to create a pretty and unique string of bunting perfect for hanging in the bedroom.
To make the salt dough heart bunting you’ll need to three craft sessions of around 30 – 60 minutes each.
What you need to make love heart bunting
- Salt dough recipe 1 cup plain flour to 1/2 cup table salt to 1/2 cup cold water per batch.
- Love heart shaped cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- Small stick to make the hanging holes
- Poster paints for decorating the love hearts
- Ribbon to thread the love hearts onto.
How to make love heart bunting – session 1
- Make up the salt dough – simply add the flour and salt to a mixing bowl and stir, pour in the water and mix well with a spoon. Then get your hands into the bowl and pull it all together and knead into a nice pliable dough.
- Roll out the dough using the rolling pin until it’s around 1 – 1.5cm thick.
- Cut out love heart shapes with the cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet.
- Poke a hole in the top of the love hearts with the stick so that you can easily thread the ribbon later.
- Bake the salt dough love hearts at 180C for around 10 – 20 minutes (slightly longer if the ornaments are thicker) the ornaments need to be baked until dry but don’t burn them!
- Leave until completely cool.
How to make love heart bunting – session 2
- Once the ornaments are dry and cool your can then decorate them. Be as simple or elaborate as you like – let the kids express themselves.
- Once painted let the hearts dry thoroughly then paint the other side of the love hearts and allow to dry.
How to make love heart bunting – session 3
- When the paint has dried you can then thread them onto string or ribbon.
The bunting looks very pretty hung in the bedroom.