Warm up on a cold day with a bowlful of easy beef & vegetable casserole – a budget slow cooker recipe that the whole family will love for an easy midweek meal.
This week’s blast of autumn had me reaching for the slow cooker. Days filled with wind and rain call for an easy beef & vegetable casserole with fresh crusty bread and a glass of red wine.
How to make beef and vegetable casserole
This beautiful beef casserole is simple to make. It’s just a matter of throwing some onions, carrots, parsnips, braising steak into the slow cooker and topping them with red wine and tomatoes – add a handful of herbs and leave the slow cooker to work it’s magic. Spend your Sunday with the family, get out and about do as you please and come home to a dish of rich warming beef casserole.
Can I make beef and vegetable casserole in the oven
Sure you can cook our beef & vegetable casserole in the oven instead of the slow cooker – just cook on 180C for around 2 hours or until the meat is beautifully tender and falling apart.
A delicious warming casserole for a cold and blustery day.
- Olive oil
- 2 brown onions - sliced into thin half moons
- 500g braising steak - chopped into bitesize pieces
- 6 carrots - scrubbed and cut into large pieces
- 2 parsnips - peeled and cut into large pieces
- 250ml - red wine
- 500g passata
- Bay leaf
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- Salt & pepper
- Tin of butter beans
- Heat the slow cooker to low.
- Lightly oil the inside of the slow cooker pan with olive oil.
- Place the slow cooker pan on the hob over a low heat (if your pan is not removable use a separate pan for this part & tip into the slow cooker later).
- Add the onions, and braising steak and gently fry to brown the meat.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, red wine and passata and stir in the bay leaf and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the casserole to the boil then transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Once the stew is cooked I like to add a tin of butter beans - just tip them in and warm the stew for 5 minutes on the hob before serving.
Just spoon into dishes and serve with French baguette with lots of butter.
What vegetable can I put in beef casserole?
It’s your beef casserole so you throw in whatever veggies you fancy – try….
- adding mushrooms
- throw in some chunkily chopped Jerusalem artichokes
- add in some tinned lentils
More easy casserole recipes for you to try
What can I do with leftover stew?
Turn that leftover stew into a whole new dinner with our 10 delicious easy recipes and meal ideas. From pasta bake to quick pasties – grab the leftover stew recipes here now.