A one pot warmer that’s perfect for autumn. Our beef, beer and pumpkin stew is packed full of delicious seasonal produce and simmered in the most delicious rich gravy.
I make this beef stew in the slow cooker because I like the laziness of it being ready for me to eat when I get home. You’ll just need some nice crusty bread alongside, or maybe a dumpling or two (cheat and use Aunt Bessie’s)
Rich, warming autumn casserole
- splash of olive oil
- 2 onions - roughly chopped
- 4 carrots - roughly chopped
- 500g stewing steak - diced
- 2 mini pumpkins - deseeded and sliced into wedges
- 600g potatoes - peeled and diced
- 200ml beef stock
- 300ml beer
- salt and black pepper
- Heat the slow cooker to low.
- Add a splash of olive oil to the slow cooker pan and gently sauté the onions and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown it. Then add the pumpkin and potatoes. Pour over the beef stock and beer and then season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook in the slow cooker for around 8-9 hours on low.
It’s worth saving the pumpkin seeds too so that you can make this delicious spicy seed snack.
Make beef, beer and pumpkin stew your way
- switch the beef for lamb.
- skip the potatoes or switch them for sweet potatoes or a mix of parsnip and swede.
- go spicy add some red chilli flakes, couple of teaspoons of cumin and a pinch of cinnamon.
How to serve beef and pumpkin stew
- a delicious easy midweek dinner.
- as a lazy alternative to a Sunday roast.