Our really easy and totally yummy beef noodle soup was created as part of the Sainsbury’s Love your Leftovers challenge. The original challenge was to make a roast beef dinner and then use up the leftovers to create new meals.
Loving your leftovers slashes your weekly shopping bill, stops you wasting food and saves time too.
Our beef noodle soup can be on the table in 20 minutes making it perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. All you need to do is make up the beef stock, using a stock cube or stock pot, add the leftover shredded beef, the herbs and spices and the frozen vegetables, simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the rice noodles and stir the soup for the 3 minutes they take to cook, then they won’t clump together.
That’s it. Easy and yum. We love this served with a little bowl of prawn crackers.
Quick and easy recipe for using up leftover roast beef
- A few slices of roast beef cut into narrow strips
- 2 pints of beef stock - I use Kallo low salt stock cubes
- 1/2 tsp Gourmet Garden garlic (for speed)
- 1 tsp Gourmet Garden ginger (for speed)
- pinch of chilli flakes
- cup of frozen sweetcorn
- cup of frozen peas
- 4 blocks of frozen spinach
- 1 - 2 tbs soy sauce (to your own taste)
- 1 tsp five spice
- small handful of dried rice noodles (the ones that cook in 3 minutes)
- Make up the beef stock using boiling water and pour into a saucepan.
- Add the beef, herbs and spices, frozen corn, peas and spinach and bring pan to the boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes - then add the rice noodles.
- Stir the soup for the 3 minutes the noodles are cooking in it so that they don’t stick.
Make it your way….
- Make up the soup with leftover roast pork instead of beef.
- Skip the meat all together and go veggie, add in some tofu.
- Fill up a thermos food pot with soup and take it to work for lunch.
Disclaimer: The ingredients for this soup were provided free of charge by Sainsbury’s