Getting the kids back into routine after the long summer holidays is hard work right? We’ve been chatting to mums who have the whole thing sorted – here’s their top back to school hacks to make life a whole lot easier – for you!
Back to School Hacks – How To Get Ready The Night Before School
- Colour code the kids hangers so they know which colour hangers hold their uniform and it’s quicker to grab – Mandi from Hex Mum Blog
- Set everything out the night before and sometimes even for a few days – all the clothes down to underwear. Laura from The Mamma Fairy
- Hang an entire uniform on one hanger to make it easier to grab in the morning, and set shoes out ready by the front door the night before. Jo from Cup of Toast
- EVERYTHING prepared the night before. Uniforms out, shoes and bags at the door and packed lunch ready. Even breakfast bowls and spoons on table with cereal and covered with clingfilm – little jugs milk in fridge so just take them out the fridge and put on the table for kids to take off cling film and pour themselves whilst I get ready. Luciana from Word Up, Mum!
- We shower in the evenings during term time, means it’s one less thing to fit in in the mornings. I find I’m much less rushed this way. Kirsty from Winnettes
- If you’ve got girls, braid their hair while it’s damp and get them to sleep in it. That way you’ve got an instant snazzy hairstyle when they wake up. Jenny from Mummy Saver, Money Maker
- Have 5 boxes or trays (one for each day of the week) filled with everything you need ready on the Sunday night – iron and fold uniforms, look out appropriate after school activity bits and have them all ready and waiting to make the mornings that little bit easier. Kirsty from Life with Boys
How To Get Into A Good School Day Routine – Back To School Hacks
- Get in a good school day routine, one that works for you.
- Plan to be at school before you need to. Sounds daft, but we are in the playground at 8.30 every morning which gives my daughter time to play and run around. Then I can chat to the mums before she goes in at 8.50. This 20 minute contingency has been a life saver on a few occasions, especially when I forgot it was non uniform day! Jodie from Maidenhead Mum
- As we head into our first term, we are practicing the morning routine so it’s not a complete shock. Sinead Latham
School Lunch Ideas – Back To School Hacks
- Freeze a small bottle of water or juice carton. That way when you put it in their lunchbox it keeps everything cool like an ice block. Kerry from Blissful Domestication.
- Always make packed lunches the night before. Terri from The Strawberry Fountain.
- Make up lunches and put them in the freezer – then you just have to take them out as you need them. Joy from The Sensory Seeker and Emma from Emma and 3
After School Snacks and Ideas
- Always have after school snacks ready, it just means the kids will be far nicer! Get our best ideas below.
- Get a sorting box by the front door, for bags & shoes . They walk in take shoes off and put bags away – then in the morning there is no mad panic. Emma – The Cheshire Wife
Kids Homework Hacks
- Have a pot filled with pens, pencils, and scissors ready for when they need to complete their homework! – Sarah from What The Kids Wore
- Do homework the night it’s set (unless impossible) so that it’s not a mad dash the morning it’s due – especially big project ones like make a volcano etc! No one needs that kind of stress before their 1st coffee of the day! Nathalie from The Intolerant Gourmand
- Make a school organisation station to keep on top of everything!
School Uniform Washing Tips
- Use a sharpie pen to write in school uniform, PE kit and don’t forget coats too. So much easier, cheaper and quicker than labels and can’t fall off. – Debbie from My Boys Club and Karina from Mum’s The Nerd
- Only iron the bits of the uniform that will be seen! Laura from Mum on a Mission
- Buy enough polo tops/shirts for the week so you don’t have to do a midweek wash. Beth from Twinderelmo
Uber mum tips!
- Make friends with Mums who have children around two years older than yours then you can inherit their old school uniform. Nikki from Yorkshire Wonders.
- Set reminders in your calendar and phone for EVERYTHING! Sarah from Digital Motherhood
- Have a copy of their lesson timetable stuck on the fridge, I know when he has PE/Food/Technology and even if he’s not organised with his kit and aprons I make sure he has them on the correct days. Simone from Married To A Geek
- I have a calendar which i write all the school events on! Things like curriculum evening, and our school have several sessions where parents are welcome in. So I write those on too! Jaymee from The Mum Diaries
- Don’t leave shop shopping until the end of the summer holidays! It is bedlam! Georgina from Gee Gardner
- Put a sticker on the underneath of the shoes so younger children can easily tell which shoe is for which foot! Sophie from Soph-Obsessed
- Book your shoe fitting appointment online – don’t just turn up, booked online means your straight to the front of the queue.
Get more family life organisation tips here