Our BEST pasta puttanesca recipe, ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta – our puttanesca is a great budget midweek dinner for feeding a family.
This pasta puttanesca recipe is one of my favourite things to cook.
All the puttanesca ingredients are straight from the cupboard and it cooks in minutes making it a great standby dinner that can be ready fast and tastes AMAZING.
What is Pasta Puttanesca?
Puttanesca is a delicious pasta sauce that’s really simple to make. It contains tinned tomatoes, tinned anchovies, black olives and capers. It’s simply flavoured with lots of fresh garlic and a pinch of chilli flakes.
How to Make Pasta Puttanesca Sauce
You can have this pasta puttanesca sauce recipe ready in around 10 minutes – the time it takes your pasta to cook.
Just fry off the anchovies in the olive oil they come with in the tin. Add garlic and chilli, tip in the tinned tomatoes, capers and roughly chopped olives. Season well and then let the sauce bubble away until the pasta is ready.
Red Wine in Puttanesca?
Just believe me – adding a good splash of red wine really makes this puttanesca sauce something special, it adds a great depth of flavour.
What Kind of Pasta for Puttanesca
Well as with all food and recipes, I think it’s your dinner eat it the way you like it!
Traditionally puttanesca is served with spaghetti or linguine but it’s just a lovely with penne.
What to Serve with Pasta Puttanesca
Puttanesca is great served with any salad or steamed green vegetables simply dressed in olive oil and lemon juice. You could try any of the delicious salads below alongside your pasta dish…
More Easy Pasta Recipes to Try
- Spaghetti Margherita – quick and easy midweek pasta dish
- Creamy Spinach Spaghetti – super delicious, creamy, indulgent pasta for two.
- Spicy Prawn Pasta – spicy but light seafood pasta recipe .
- 6 anchovy fillets (use canned ones in olive oil)
- 1 tbs olive oil (you can use the oil from the anchovy can)
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (try Polpa tomatoes for a really smooth sauce)
- 150g black pitted olives - roughly chopped
- 2 tbs capers
- Good splash of red wine
- 350g spaghetti
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan or skillet and throw in the anchovies – allow them to melt into the warm olive oil and break them up with a wooden spoon.
- Tip in the garlic and chilli flakes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, olives and capers and season with sea salt and black pepper, stir well.
- Tip in the red wine and bring the sauce to the boil – then reduce the heat and allow to bubble over a low heat until the pasta is cooked.
- Once the pasta is cooked drain and save a cup of the pasta water – toss the pasta into the sauce – loosen with the reserved pasta water if necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 603mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.