A nutritious, frugal, tasty Sweet Potato Soup Recipe – bursting with flavour – the perfect soup to warm up with on a cold winters day!
Best sweet potato soup recipe
Our sweet potato soup flavoured with warming sage is delicious and perfect for a frosty day, it’s vegan, gluten and dairy free and oh so delicious! We serve the soup with cheesy dippers – you can easily make these to suit any dietary requirements using the appropriate free-from ingredients.
How to make sweet potato soup taste great
We add loads of flavour simply by roasting the vegetables in the oven and then blitz with vegetable stock. Easy and quick with a much punchier robust flavour than simmering the vegetables in stock.
Warming, comforting soup recipe
- 3 sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 large carrots - peeled and cut into thick batons
- 1 large onion - peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 cloves of garlic - left whole and unpeeled
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp dried sage
- pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Heat the oven to 200C put the vegetables in a roasting tin, pour over the oil and toss to coat everything, sprinkle on the sage, salt and black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for around 30 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
- Remove the tray of vegetables from the oven and take out the cloves of garlic, squeeze the garlic from the skins and add back into the vegetables. Scrape the vegetables into a pan and pour over the hot vegetable stock.
- Blitz using hand blender. Add more stock if soup is too thick.
Pour into bowls and scatter with chives, serve alongside, grilled cheese and chutney dippers.
Make roast sweet potato soup your way…
- skip the sage and use thyme or oregano.
- spice things up with ground cumin and a pinch of chilli flakes.
- add in any root vegetables that need using up – swede, parsnips or even beetroot.
How to serve roast sweet potato soup
- Fab for lunch on a cold day.
- Pack in a thermos flask and take for lunch at work or out for a winter picnic.
More vegetarian soup recipes for you to try