Broccoli and watercress pesto is really easy to make, has a lovely delicate peppery flavour and is also a sneaky way to get the kids to eat greens.
This is a nut free pesto recipe, you could add some if you like, but I just like the way it tastes without them in.
A healthy nut free pesto that's packed with fresh greens.
- 300g broccoli florets
- 2 large handfuls of watercress
- 1 small clove of garlic - peeled
- 60g grated parmesan cheese
- 4-5tbs olive oil
- juice of a lemon
- sea salt to taste
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the broccoli for just 5 minutes so it keeps its bright green colour but is just tender. Once the 5 minutes is up, drain the broccoli and run under cold water to cool it quickly.
- In a blender add the garlic, watercress, cold broccoli, Parmesan, juice of a lemon, 3 tbs of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Whizz until you have a smooth pesto texture.
- Taste and add more salt or olive oil if necessary - then it's ready to eat.
make broccoli and watercress pesto your way
- switch the watercress for rocket.
- add toasted pine nuts if you like.
how to serve broccoli and watercress pesto
- delicious served stirred through spaghetti with bacon sprinkles on top.
- use to top freshly toasted bruschetta.
- eat as a dip with breadsticks