Our bubble and squeak recipe is just so good! You should always make extra mashed potatoes just so you can eat bubble & squeak topped with fried eggs the next day!
I just love bubble & squeak! It’s delicious made with plain leftover mashed potatoes but it’s extra special if you can make it with leftover colcannon.
Whenever I make colcannon I always make extra just so I can indulge in bubble and squeak with fried eggs the next day.
Our bubble and squeak recipe is tasty leftover fluffy mashed potatoes mixed with Cavolo Nero, onions and garlic, just simply formed into little patties and fried up in a pan, then served topped with a runny fried eggs…
Bubble and Squeak is just too good!
- Plate or Chopping Board
- Frying Pan
- Spatular or Fish Slice
Bubble and Squeak Ingredients
You’ll love that this easy recipe uses up leftovers!
- Leftover colcannon mashed potatoes – you’ll need around 400g leftover mashed potatoes to serve two people. Feel free to add in any leftover veggies you like, not just potatoes – carrots, swede, parsnips all work well as does any greens like broccoli, peas or even cauliflower!
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs olive oil – you can swap this for sunflower or rapeseed oil if you prefer.
- 1 tbs sunflower oil – for frying the eggs
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
How To Make Bubble And Squeak
It’s super easy to make bubble and squeak and so delicious to eat!
We make our bubble and squeak potato cake style… (it’s just quicker and easier to cook this way)
Step One – make the potato patties
- Take handfuls of the cold mashed potatoes or colcannon and mould them into flat burger shaped patties – ideally you need either 2 large or 4 smaller patties.
Step Two – cook the bubble and squeak patties
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a non stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- Fry the patties, flipping regularly until they are golden and crisping on the outside and fully heated through in the centre.
Cooks Note! Food should only be reheated once and when reheating I heat the food to a minimum of 75 degrees and cook it at that temperature for around 4 minutes – I use a food thermometer to check the temperature.
Step Three – fry the eggs
- When the bubble and squeak is almost ready – heat the sunflower oil in another frying pan and quickly make the fried eggs.
Step Four – serve
- To serve – slide the bubble and squeak onto plates and top with a fried egg. I love this with either a drizzle of HP sauce or Sriracha, depending on what mood I’m in.
You might also LOVE our tinned tomatoes on toast – super easy, delicious and ready in minutes!
Why Is It Called Bubble And Squeak?
Bubble and Squeak takes its name from the noise it makes when it’s all frying up in a pan.
What’s The Best Way To Cook Bubble And Squeak?
Well… it’s down to preference really. I think it tastes absolutely it’s best if you fry it in a pan.
But… if you want to cut out the frying and be a little healthier then oven bake the patties flipping half way through and top with poached eggs not fried.
Get more quick and easy meals here
What Else Can You Put In Bubble And Squeak?
It’s your bubble and squeak, you can literally put in it whatever you fancy eating! Try…
- Adding in some cooked bacon.
- Adding in any other leftover cooked vegetables from the last nights dinner – cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, swede, carrots all fry up deliciously.
- Go spicy and add in some chopped fresh chillies.
- Make this an Indian spiced dish and stir in some curry paste to the mashed potatoes prior to frying.
- Add grated cheese into the mashed potatoes for a cheesy bubble and squeak recipe.
Get more delicious leftover recipes here
Easy Egg Recipes for Dinner
- Healthy Egg and Chips – oven baked sweet potato wedges with eggs and blistered baby vine tomatoes – super easy and delicious.
- Easy Spanish Omelette – cook up a delicious omelette and serve alongside patatas bravas and some crusty bread – maybe a salad.
- Herby Omelette – need an easy dinner for one? Herby omelette is delicious, simple and quick to make.
- Fried Egg On Toast – sometimes you just want simple food that’s ready to eat in minutes.
Get more easy egg recipes and how to use up eggs here
Need Some Family Meal Ideas?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes and Meal Ideas your whole family will LOVE!
Get all our delicious vegetarian recipes here
- 400g leftover colcannon or mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- Take handfuls of leftover colcannon and mould into 4 slim burger pattes.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and fry the bubble and squeak patties until they are heated thoroughly throughout and crisp and browning on the outsides.
- Add the sunflower oil to another frying pan and quickly fry the eggs.
- To serve slide the bubble and squeak onto plates and top with the fried eggs. Eat straight away.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 737mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our delicious leftovers recipe to Pinterest for later!
Hey – we hope you enjoy the recipe and when you cook it don’t forget to tag us your creations on Twitter @daisiesandpieUK or Instagram @daisiesandpie