A beautifully tasty family meal – bursting with Mediterranean flavours – Caponata makes a delicious fresh easy healthy summer dinner – serve this simply sprinkled toasted with flaked almonds for a quick vegan dinner.
- 2 aubergines - chopped into bite size chunks
- 2 red peppers - chopped into bite size chunks
- 1 small fennel - thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli - deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 500g cherry tomatoes - sliced into halves
- handful of black olives - roughly chopped
- small handful of basil - torn
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- olive oil, salt & pepper
- 500g pasta to serve - penne is good with caponata
- Warm a splash of olive oil in large frying pan, add the peppers, aubergine, fennel, garlic and chilli and cook for a few minutes.
- Put the pasta on to cook - bring to the boil a large pan of water, add a good pinch of salt and a swirl of olive oil, once it’s bubbling add the penne and bring the pan back to the boil and then turn down to a simmer - keep the lid off. Stir the penne every few minutes to prevent it from sticking together. Simmer for around 10 - 12 minutes. Whilst the pasta is cooking carry on making the sauce…
- Add the tomatoes, olives and oregano to the other vegetables - season with salt & pepper and cook over a medium heat, stir frequently
- When the pasta is cooked - drain and add to the caponata and mix well - sprinkle with torn basil.
Simply divide into dishes and sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds. This is also good cold as leftovers the next day.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 461mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 13g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Love to eat Italian food? Try out more of our easy Italian recipes here
Get loads more delicious easy pasta dishes here
Get all our delicious vegetarian recipes here