A beautifully tasty family meal – bursting with Mediterranean flavours – Caponata makes a delicious fresh easy healthy summer dinner – serve this simply sprinkled toasted with flaked almonds for a quick vegan dinner.
Delicious summery Italian family meal.
- 2 aubergines - chopped into bite size chunks
- 2 red peppers - chopped into bite size chunks
- 1 small fennel - thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli - deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 500g cherry tomatoes - sliced into halves
- handful of black olives - roughly chopped
- small handful of basil - torn
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- olive oil, salt & pepper
- 500g pasta to serve - penne is good with caponata
- Warm a splash of olive oil in large frying pan, add the peppers, aubergine, fennel, garlic and chilli and cook for a few minutes
- Put the pasta on to cook - bring to the boil a large pan of water, add a good pinch of salt and a swirl of olive oil, once it’s bubbling add the penne and bring the pan back to the boil and then turn down to a simmer - keep the lid off. Stir the penne every few minutes to prevent it from sticking together. Simmer for around 10 - 12 minutes. Whilst the pasta is cooking carry on making the sauce…
- Add the tomatoes, olives and oregano to the other vegetables - season with salt & pepper and cook over a medium heat, stir frequently
- When the pasta is cooked - drain and add to the caponata and mix well - sprinkle with torn basil
Simply divide into dishes and sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds. This is also good cold as leftovers the next day.