Cheat your way to this totally delicious, sticky, gooey chocolate cake. With chocolate sponge, chocolate fudge icing and chocolate chunks! This cake is ALL about the chocolate.
Our cheat’s chocolate cake recipe cuts down on the time and effort it takes to make an indulgent cake by using shop bought chocolate fudge icing and decorating with big chunky chocolate pieces. Think rustic!
First mix up the cake batter – cream together the butter and sugar, slowly add the eggs and vanilla, sift in the flour and cocoa powder and mix together with just a splash of milk to loosen the batter.
Divide equally between two greased cake tins – I use silicone bake trays because the cake just flips out easily with no sticking.
Love cake? Get loads more easy cakes and bakes recipes here!
Once cool, sandwich together with 1/4 of the chocolate fudge icing, then spread the rest of the icing on the top and sides. Then decorate with chunky chocolate pieces.
Rustic and easy chocolate cake recipe
- 6oz butter
- 6oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 6oz self raising flour
- 2oz cocoa powder
- 1 heaped tsp of baking powder
- 2 tbs milk
- 1 400g tub of ready-made chocolate fudge icing (we like the Betty Crocker one)
- 1 packet of chocolate bites (we like Cadbury Wispa bites)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease two 6-inch cake tins.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
- In a jug beat together the eggs and vanilla essence.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture, bit at a time, into the butter and sugar and mix well to combine.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and fold in gently. If you need to you can loosen the mixture with 1-2 tbs of milk.
- Divide the cake batter between the cake tins and bake for 15 minutes or until when a skewer is inserted it comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely. Then use 1/4 of the tub of icing to sandwich the cakes together, and spread the rest of the icing over the top and sides of the cake. No need to be neat here - this is a chunky rustic cake. Scatter the chocolate chunk bites on top of the cake to decorate.
Make Cheat’s Chocolate Cake your way
- Use orange flavouring instead of vanilla and cover the top with chunks of Terry’s Chocolate Orange.
- Top with a cream cheese frosting instead of chocolate.
- Sandwich the cake together with peanut butter.
Get all our easy dessert recipes here
Get more absolutely delicious easy chocolate recipes here.