As much as I love a big plate of cheesy tuna pasta bake it never seems worthwhile making it with lovingly prepared fresh tomato sauce and flakes of fresh tuna although I’m sure it would be delicious. Tuna pasta bake is definitely a cheat meal, one you can throw together in minutes a fab quick meal idea. Filling, satisfying, proper comfort food.
To make this really easy family recipe I cook the penne pasta for around 10 minutes in boiling salted water – drain and then toss in a jar of ready-made tomato sauce. I use a 400g jar with added Mediterranean vegetables like courgettes and peppers. Next stir in a can of tuna, two handfuls each of defrosted frozen peas and corn. Mix gently to combine everything together.
Then simply tip into an oven proof dish – I quickly grease the dish with olive oil first to stop the pasta sticking. Flatten the pasta bake down with a spoon and then top with a 350g tub of ricotta cheese – give the cheese a good stir through first as it makes it easier to spread on top of the pasta bake.
Next I sprinkle over a handful of grated parmesan (you could use cheddar if you prefer) and sprinkle with a teaspoon of dried oregano. Season well with salt & pepper and pop into the oven until it browns.
A super simple easy family recipe – ready in under 30 minutes. A great way to get kids to eat their 5-a-day.
An easy cheat's version of tuna pasta bake - packed with veggies a great family recipe.
- 350g penne pasta
- 400g jar of shop-bough tomato sauce
- Tin of tuna
- 2 handfuls of defrosted frozen peas
- 2 handfuls of defrosted frozen sweetcorn
- 350g tub of ricotta cheese
- 2 handfuls of grated parmesan
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil - add a pinch of salt and swirl of oil.
- Tip in the penne pasta and cook for ten minutes. Drain and return to the pan.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the jar of tomato sauce, defrosted vegetables and can of tuna and put into a lightly greased oven proof dish.
- Top with ricotta cheese and sprinkle with parmesan, dried oregano, salt & pepper.
- Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes until golden.
Lovely served with a green salad. Any leftovers are nice cold the next day for packed lunch.
Cheat’s tuna pasta bake is a lovely gooey cheesy plate of deliciousness! I love this cold the next day or stuffed into a toasted ciabatta roll. Mmmm real family food! One to remember for meal planning.
Make tuna pasta bake your way…
- go spicy and use a spiced tomato sauce.
- switch the tuna for sardines or salmon to boost oily fish in your diet.
- top with a scattering of breadcrumbs for a crunchy topping.
- Fab midweek dinner.
- Cold next day.
- Easy weekend dinner or lunch.