We know, we know, cheese on toast is pretty perfect just as it is, but… with a little topping of slowly cooked buttery Balsamic onions it just goes up a tasty little notch. And if you’re short on time and need a quick and easy weeknight supper (or just a sneaky little snack) then this is for you.
A delicious twist to cheese on toast.
- 4 slices of bread - any you like sourdough, tiger, herby bloomer.
- Around 150-200g of cheese or enough slices of cheese to cover the bread fully.
- 1 large onion - thinly sliced
- Knob of butter
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan and gently fry the onions over a low heat. After around 15 minutes add the Balsamic vinegar and continue cooking for around another 10 minutes until they're soft and sticky.
- Toast one side of the bread under the grill, then flip the bread over and cover with cheese, pop back under the grill until the cheese is bubbling and melted.
- Serve topped with the sticky caramelised onions.
Make it your way…
- Add in a couple of slices of crisp bacon.
- Spread a layer of wholegrain mustard onto the bread before the cheese.
- Serve with a simple green salad dressed with lemon juice.
- Easy midweek supper for two.
- Perfect for lunch.
- As a cheeky late night snack.