Cheesy Vegetable Hotpot – Really easy, super tasty budget dinner recipe that’s great for feeding a family – total comfort food!
Cheesy vegetable hotpot is easy, cheesy and cheap.
A great dish for using up leftovers or for cooking up on a day that needs comfort food.
How to make cheesy vegetable hotpot
You’ll need a large oven proof dish, a deep pie dish is what I use.
Rub butter around the inside of the dish then layer up the hotpot.
A layer of sliced potatoes, a layer of onions, leeks and garlic. Then add another layer of sliced potatoes, another layer of onions, leeks and garlic and finish with a layer of sliced potatoes.
Pour over the vegetable stock, cover tightly with foil and bake in the oven for around 2 hours on a low heat.
Remove the foil, sprinkle a couple of handfuls of cheese over the top and return to the oven on a higher heat to brown the cheese.
I love to serve our vegetable hotpot with cucumber salad, watercress and lots of buttered crusty bread.
Make cheesy vegetable hotpot your way
- Add in any vegetable you like – try thinly sliced parsnips, sweet potatoes or cauliflower.
- Add more protein and add in tinned beans or pulses amongst the layers.
- Add some herbs or spices if you like things hot – sprinkle in some curry powder or spicy fajita seasoning.
- Top with any combination of cheeses – blue cheese and cheddar work well together.
What to serve with cheesy vegetable hotpot
- Salad with a zingy lemon dressing
- Sliced cucumbers scattered with capers and drizzle of lemon juice.
- Baked beans
- Broccoli or peas
- Buttered crusty bread for mopping up the juices.
More budget dinner recipes to try
- 25g butter
- 2kg potatoes peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 onions - peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 leeks - finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 250ml vegetable stock
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 75g Cheddar cheese - grated
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Rub butter around the inside of a pie dish.
- Layer up the vegetable hotpot - start with a layer of sliced potatoes, then a layer of onion, leeks and garlic, another layer of sliced potatoes, another layer of onions, leeks and garlic and finish with a layer of sliced potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour over the stock
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake in the oven at 160C for around 2 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the foil, scatter the top of the vegetable hotpot with grated cheese and return to the oven on a hotter heat to melt the cheese.
Serve with cucumber and watercress salad and lots of crusty bread smothered in butter.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 645Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 120gFiber: 13gSugar: 11gProtein: 19g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.