Really easy, super tasty budget dinner recipe that’s great for feeding a family – total comfort food!
Cheesy vegetable hotpot is easy, cheesy and cheap. A great dish for using up leftovers or for cooking up on a day that needs comfort food.
How to make vegetable hotpot
You’ll need a large oven proof dish, a deep pie dish is what I use. Rub butter around the inside of the dish then layer up the hotpot.
A layer of potato scallops (sliced potatoes), a layer of onions, leeks and garlic, another layer of potato scallops, another layer of onions, leeks and garlic and finish with a layer of potato scallops. Pour over the vegetable stock, cover tightly with foil and bake in the oven for around 2 hours on a low heat.
Remove the foil, sprinkle a couple of handfuls of cheese over the top and return to the oven on a higher heat to brown the cheese.
Serve with cucumber salad, watercress and lots of buttered crusty bread.
Cheesy Vegetable Hotpot Recipe
Super easy vegetarian main course.
- Knob of butter.
- 2kg potatoes peeled and sliced into thin scallops.
- 3 onions - peeled and finely sliced.
- 2 leeks - finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 250ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 2 handfuls of grated cheese.
- Rub butter around the inside of a pie dish.
- Layer up the vegetable hotpot - start with a layer of potato scallops, then a layer of onion, leeks and garlic, another layer of potato scallops, another layer of onions, leeks and garlic and finish with a layer of potato scallops.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour over the stock.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake in the oven at 160C for around 2 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the foil, scatter the top of the vegetable hotpot with grated cheese and return to the oven on a hotter heat to melt the cheese.
Serve with salad leaves dressed with lemon juice.
Make cheesy vegetable hotpot your way
- Add in any vegetable you like – try thinly sliced parsnips, sweet potatoes or cauliflower.
- Add more protein and add in tinned beans or pulses amongst the layers.
- Add some herbs or spices if you like things hot – sprinkle in some curry powder or spicy fajita seasoning.
- Top with any combination of cheeses – blue cheese and cheddar work well together.
What to serve with cheesy vegetable hotpot
- Salad with a zingy lemon dressing
- Sliced cucumbers scattered with capers and drizzle of lemon juice.
- Baked beans
- Broccoli or peas
- Buttered crusty bread for mopping up the juices.