A totally tasty combination of chorizo, chicken and chickpeas mingle together in this Spanish inspired one pot. This delicious and easy dish will soon become a family favourite.
Juicy paprika spiked chorizo sausages are quickly fried off in a large casserole dish, freshly chopped onions and lots of garlic are added along with chicken thighs, tomatoes and herbs. The dish is finished with chickpeas and handfuls of fresh spinach.
A lovely warming winter meal. Delicious served with buttered gnocchi or fluffy rice or if you’re feeling lazy just some nice crusty bread.
Scrumptious Spanish style chicken and chorizo one pot - this tasty family meal is a winter warmer to add to your meal plan.
- 6 chorizo cooking sausages
- 6-8 chicken thighs - skinless (you can buy boneless too if you prefer)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 onions
- 2 tins of tomatoes and half a tin of water.
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 large glass of red wine
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 4 handfuls of fresh spinach - roughly chopped.
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large hob safe casserole dish. Add the chorizo sausages and cook for 5 minutes so they colour the olive oil with paprika.
- Add the onions and garlic and soften slightly.
- Tip in the chicken thighs and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes,water, wine, oregano and chilli flakes.
- Bring pan to the boil then transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and add the chickpeas - return to the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the chopped spinach - stir the spinach through the casserole - it'll just wilt in the heat it doesn't need any extra cooking.
Tasty served with buttered gnocchi or fluffy rice.
Make it your way:
- Don’t like chick peas – add butter beans or cannellini beans instead.
- Can’t find chorizo sausages – use ordinary pork sausages maybe with added garlic or chilli
- Fancy a bit more heat – add a tsp or two of hot smoked paprika.
- No fresh spinach – add frozen.