Mexican food is always a big hit with the kids and because it’s healthy and packed with veggies a big hit with me too. It’s easy and quick to make and when I’m short on time Mexican food is always a winner.
You can make the chilli chicken tacos as spicy or mild as you like and swap and change the toppings to the ones that your family like best, there’s no rules!
Quick and easy chicken dinner, perfect for weeknights
- splash of olive oil or sunflower oil
- 400g chicken breast strips
- 1 red pepper cut into slices
- 1 onion cut into slices
- 1 small red chilli - deseeded and thinly sliced
- handful of chopped coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- to serve
- 8 tacos or mini soft flour tortilla wraps
- Salsa - try our homemade green pepper salsa
- shredded lettuce
- spring onions sliced thinly
- soured cream
- lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and fry for 5 minutes, tip in the chicken breast strips, chilli and smoked paprika and stir fry for around 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and no pink remains. Stir in the coriander.
- To serve put everything into dishes, the chilli chicken and all the toppings and let everyone make up their own tacos.
Make chilli chicken tacos your way
- Go extra spicy and add a pinch of chilli powder to the chicken.
- Go mild and miss out the chilli altogether.
- Skip the tacos and serve with flavoured rice and salad.
- Make it veggie and use mushrooms and beans in place of the chicken.
- Use prawns for a seafood version.
How to serve chilli chicken tacos
- Fab for when your short on time but want real food.
- Great for serving up for the kids tea.