It’s loads of fun to make a fiery dragon mask and a lovely little craft to celebrate Chinese New Year. Our dragon mask craft is great for getting kids to be more creative and imaginative and the masks are a great fun to play with.
What you need to make dragon masks
- Paper plate
- Red paint
- Sticky tape
- A4 shiny red craft card
- A4 shiny gold craft card
- Sticky gold stars
- Strips of fabric, ribbon or cellophane for decorating
- Lolly stick
How to make dragon masks
- Cut out triangle eye shapes in the paper plate.
- Paint the plate red.
- Cut out – dragon horns, golden dragon spikes (big and small), golden mouth
- Stick the dragon horns and big golden triangles to the top of the mask.
- Stick on the mouth and smaller golden triangles for teeth
- Stick on the strips of fabric, cellophane and ribbon.
- Decorate with golden shiny stars
- Attach lolly stick to the back so the mask can be held in front of the face.
Hints and tips
- If you’re making this with very young children and are short on time, prepare all the cutting out and shapes prior to starting the activity.
- Older children and those more confident in scissor skills will like to do the cutting out themselves.
- Use the masks in imaginative play, making up dragon dances or as part of Chinese New Year celebrations.