This classic potato salad recipe is like a little retro taste of childhood in a bowl. This is the potato salad that always came with us on picnics, adorned the buffet table at parties and turned up on Easter Monday next to a plate of roast lamb.
This creamy classic potato salad dish goes so well with leftover roast meat, grilled lemony salmon or even BBQ sausages and burgers.
It’s so simple to make and a great family meal idea. A lovely summery potato dish just perfect for this time of year. Great for packing into lunch boxes instead of a sandwich and a perfect picnic dish.
I make the potato salad using Nadine potatoes which are a nice waxy potato ideal for potato salad, wedges and roasting. Simply scrubbed and cut into bitesized pieces then boiled, cooled and dressed. This is a super quick and easy summer recipe.
In fact when boiling potatoes for any recipe I always tend to boil a few extra just so I can make this delicious, creamy potato salad.
It’s always worth growing pots of chives out in the garden or in a sunny window box – they are really hardy little plants and grow back well year after year. Chives add a nice slightly oniony taste to dip and salads.
A delicious classic potato salad recipe ideal for parties, BBQs and summer meals.
- 600g new potatoes - I use Nadine
- 3 tbs mayonnaise
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 cornichons - finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- a bunch of chives sniped finely
- Scrub the potatoes well and then cut into bitesized pieces.
- Place into a large pan of salted water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer with the lid on for around 5-7 minutes until just tender.
- Drain and leave in a colander to cool down.
- Once cool - make up the potato salad dressing.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the olive oil, white wine vinegar and season to taste.
- Toss the dressing through the potatoes then stir in the finely diced cornichons.
- Scatter the salad with freshly snipped chives.
I like this classic potato salad with our homemade pizza and it makes leftovers much more substantial the next day which is great for lunch boxes.
Make Potato Salad your way
Use this recipe as a base and take your potato salad into different directions – it’s your salad, eat it your way.
- spice things up with chopped jalapeño or fresh chillies and coriander.
- go all smoky with a good pinch of smoked paprika or a swirl of harissa paste.
- make it more substantial – crumble over a couple of cooled boiled eggs.
- go all out Mediterranean with a heaped tablespoon of pesto, a sprinkling of parmesan and zest of a lemon.
- give it some colour and add a sweet potato into the mix.
- give it a proper 80s twist and stir through some sliced hot dog sausages… oh YES.
How to serve Potato Salad
- Perfect as a side dish at summer parties or picnics.
- Alongside grilled chicken or fish.
- As a lunchbox filler.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Need some new packed lunch ideas? We’ve lots of delicious recipes here!
Get more picnic ideas here
Get more potato salad recipes here
Get more potato recipes here