A healthy Couscous Salad loaded with roast courgettes and colourful peppers. Perfect salad for serving at summer BBQs, picnics or potlucks.
How to cook couscous
Cooking couscous couldn’t be easier! It’s just a case of tipping the amount you want into a bowl, covering with freshly boiled water – pop a lid on to keep the steam in, then wait around 5-6 minutes until it’s soaked up all the water.
I then like to fluff it with a fork and add in a splash of olive oil.
Once you’ve got your cooked couscous you can add in whatever herbs, spices and extras you like. So simple.
How to make couscous salad
We add lots or roast veggies into our couscous salad – courgettes and red and yellow peppers. Just chop them chunkily, toss in olive oil and herbs or spices and roast in a hot oven for around 20-25 minutes.
Then mix into your couscous and dress with your favourite salad dressing. I love the Balsamic Dressing Recipe from Jamie Oliver here.
Delicious easy healthy summer salad
- 1 cup dried couscous
- Boiling water to cover
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 courgettes - sliced
- 1 red pepper - sliced
- 1 yellow pepper - sliced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Handful of herbs - roughly chopped - I use flat leaf parsley, basil, chives and just a little mint usually.
- Couple of tbs of salad dressing
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oven to 200C - toss the chopped veggies in olive oil and sprinkle with dried oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Roast on a non stick baking tray in the oven for around 20-25 minutes - until cooked nicely.
- Meanwhile cook your couscous as per the packet instructions.
- Once everything is cooked - mix together the couscous and roast vegetables in a large bowl with the chopped herbs (saving a few for garnish)
- Pour in the dressing and stir through with a fork gently.
- Tip the salad onto a platter and serve.
How long will couscous salad last in the fridge?
If you are prepping your salad ahead of time or just storing the leftovers then be careful and follow good food safety guidelines
What can I add to couscous salad?
Our roast vegetable couscous is naturally vegan and vegetarian – however you might like to add in a few extras – good things to add to couscous salad include…
- More veggies – try mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, roast onions
- Pulses – try chickpeas or borlotti beans
- Cheeses – try feta or sliced grilled halloumi
How to serve couscous salad
We think this salad goes great as a BBQ side dish, or picnic dish. It’s also super tasty in packed lunches. If I’m doing as packed lunch – I tend to add some feta cubes and olives to bulk it up a little more.
Our Roast Vegetable Couscous Salad is great alongside kebabs with a herby yogurt dressing on the side.
More easy summer salad recipes for you to try…
- Potato Salad with Radish and Herbs
- Quinoa Salad with Roast Carrots and Feta
- Spicy Chickpea Salad
- Courgette and Feta Salad