Curried sweet potato soup is delicious, bursting with flavour and super easy to make. Ideal for a simple quick lunch or tea time.
The sweetness of the potatoes go really well with curry spices and turmeric to make a very appetising soup.
Flavoursome, quick and easy vegetarian soup
- Splash of rapeseed oil
- Thumb sized piece of ginger - grated
- 1 clove of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery - sliced
- 600g sweet potatoes - peeled and diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- Add a splash of oil to a saucepan and gently fry the garlic, ginger, celery and onions for 5 minutes.
- Throw in the diced sweet potatoes, add the turmeric and curry powder and season with a pinch of salt.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, put the lid on and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked blend until smooth.
Make curried sweet potato soup your way
- Go Thai with the curry spices and stir through red Thai curry paste in place of the curry powder.
- Use carrots instead of sweet potato.
- Use up any leftover root vegetables.
How to serve curried sweet potato soup
- Spoon the soup into bowls and serve with warmed naan bread or crisp poppadums for dipping in.
- Take in a flask for packed lunches.