The only chilli dog recipe you’ll ever need. Friday night dinner sorted.
Indulge in some completely delicious chilli cheese dogs this weekend. Juicy smoked sausages topped with a rich tasty homemade beef chilli and grated cheese – strong Cheddar for us!
How to make chilli dogs
For the BEST chilli dogs you need to pick all your ingredients carefully – don’t go for cheap meat – pick the better quality high meat content sausages, and low fat minced beef. It makes the chilli dogs taste a whole lot better.
Think about bread rolls – I tend to serve chilli dogs in crusty rolls – the part baked baguettes you can finish baking at home work really well for this recipe – you can use regular hot dog rolls or the brioche rolls but they don’t tend to hold up to the chilli sauce, they tend to go soggy way to fast and make this a really messy meal to eat.
Chilli Dog Recipe
Best Chilli Dogs
- 8 Hot Dog Sausages we use ASDA Extra Special New York Style Hot Dogs
- 8 Part Baked Baguettes
- 2 Handfuls of Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 250 g Lean Minced Beef
- 1 Small Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 Red Pepper finely chopped
- 1 Red Chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 400 g Passata
First up – make the chilli con carne – add a splash of olive oil to a skillet (one with a lid) gently fry the onions and pepper.
Add the cumin, coriander, chilli powder and cinnamon and stir for a few seconds.
Tip in the minced beef and brown it.
Add the passata and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper
Bring the pan to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for around 30 minutes whilst you get the hot dogs and bread cooked.
Cook the part baked baguettes as per the packet instructions and then set aside to cool.
Grill the sausages as per the packet instructions – usually around 20-25 minutes or until cooked through properly.
To make up the chilli dogs – split open the bread rolls – slide in the hot dog sausages, load on the chilli con carne topping and add some grated cheese
Sides to Serve with Hotdogs
We’ve got some GREAT side dishes that go alongside hotdogs. Try….
- Easy Bean Salad – a tasty combination of beans, corn and fresh salad veggies in a simple salad dressing.
- Sweet Potato Wedges – delicious skin on sweet potato wedges with delicious seasoning served with a dill and lemon mayonnaise
- Jalapeno Coleslaw – zesty, zingy coleslaw with a kick of heat from the jalapeños – totally yummy!
How to make veggie chilli dogs
Switch our meat sausages for your favourite vegetarian sausages and use Quorn mince in place of the beef mince.
How to make vegan chilli dogs
Switch the meat sausages for vegan sausages and the beef mince for tinned lentils. Skip the cheese or serve with a vegan friendly version.
More kids dinner ideas
- Healthy Baked Southern Fried Chicken – a healthy take on the classic chicken kids LOVE.
- Super Easy Pasta Pesto – fresh and tasty bowl of pasta the kids can’t get enough of.
- Chilli Con Carne with Baked Beans – a mild and tasty chilli that’s oh so perfect served in oven baked potatoes.