Super easy Patatas Bravas recipe – add a little Spanish flare to your summer and throw together a simple tapas selection for friends.
What is Patatas Bravas?
Patatas Bravas is a tasty Spanish potato tapas dish that’s super simple to make. Cubes of crispy fried potato are served mixed into a rich smoky spiced paprika flavoured tomato sauce with a generous scattering of chopped flat leaf parsley.
This tapas dish is so very moreish you’ll struggle walking past it without digging in! Patatas bravas is good served as part of a tapas spread or just on its own as a little something to nibble with crusty bread and drinks.
Patatas Bravas Ingredients
You’ll just need to gently fry a finely chopped onion, couple of chopped cloves of garlic and a sliced red chilli in a splash of olive oil. Tip in a tin of chopped tomatoes, pick good quality ones that are more tomato than juice. I like Cirio or Napolina chopped tomatoes. Add 2-3 tsp of smoked paprika, a pinch of Maldon sea salt and good grind of black pepper. Allow to simmer whilst you cook the potatoes.
You’ll need around 1kg of baby new potatoes. Chop them into bitesized cubes, I leave the skins on. Boil in salted water for around 8-10 minutes until softened. Drain and then fry in olive oil until browning and crisp on the outsides. Drain them from the olive oil using a slotted spoon and stir them into the tomato sauce. Scatter with lots of chopped flat leaf parsley.
Patatas Bravas Recipe
This Patatas Bravas recipe is easy and a super delicious summer way to serve potatoes.
Delicious patatas bravas, ideal as part of a tapas feast.
- Olive oil
- Onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 red chilli - finely sliced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1kg baby new potatoes - chopped into bitesized cubes
- sea salt
- black pepper
- handful of flat leaf parsley chopped
- Add a splash of olive oil to a pan and gently fry the onion, garlic and chilli until slightly softened.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and smoked paprika. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Simmer the sauce with the lid off whilst you prepare the potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for around 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Drain them and fry in hot olive oil until they start to brown and crisp.
- Remove the potatoes from the olive oil with a slotted spoon and stir them into the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with lots of chopped flat leaf parsley.
Make Patatas Bravas Your Way
- skip the chilli if you don’t like the heat
- stir through a tin of chickpeas for a little extra munch
- leftovers are delicious mixed with cheese and stuffed into little pasties.
- add a few discs of chorizo if you fancy a little meat
- delicious served topped with a poached egg as a complete meal
More Easy Tapas Recipes Vegetarian
You can easily throw together a vegetarian tapas spread – just gather together small dishes of the following
- Tomato and aubergine stew
- Blistered padron peppers
- Spanish omelette
- Marinated olives with cheese
- Tomato salad
- Stuffed pepperdews
- Smoky paprika peppers