These mouthwatering salted pistachio rocky road bars are salty, sweet, squidgy little slabs of deliciousness!
I’ve been playing around with different combinations of rocky road bars lately. Trying to create a fab and tasty homemade treat. One that makes me go “mmmmm yum”
I’ve tested lots of different ingredients, hazelnuts, peanuts, cranberries, apricots, raisins. I’ve used rich tea biscuits, salted crackers, popcorn and digestives, trying to get the best combination of flavours.
This is my winner. Salted green and lilac pistachio nuts mixed with fluffy pink and white marshmallows, dense digestive biscuits and coated in a heavenly mixture of melted dark chocolate and butter laced with syrup. It’s just SO right.
You want these… You need them in your life
These make a mouthwatering addition to lunch boxes or for picnics or parties.
Rocky road bars are great for using up leftover Easter chocolate (should such a thing exist)
- 125g unsalted butter
- 300g dark chocolate - at least 70% cocoa solids
- 4 generous tbs golden syrup
- 100g salted pistachios (removed from the shells)
- 180g digestive biscuits
- 100g mini marshmallows
- Line a 9 inch square tin with tin foil.
- Remove the pistachios from the shells - place into a metal bowl and bash with the end of a rolling pin until cracked into small pieces. Keep half the pistachios to one side for sprinkling over the top of the rocky roads.
- Place the digestive biscuits into a metal bowl and bash with the end of a rolling pin until you have chunky pieces and some crumbs. (if you don’t have a metal bowl do this step by putting the nuts and biscuits into a sealed plastic bag whilst you bash.
- Put the digestives, pistachios and marshmallows into a bowl and mix together.
- In a saucepan over a low heat add the butter in slices, the syrup and break up the dark chocolate.
- Stir this mixture together until it has all melted into a lovely rich chocolate puddle.
- Pour just over half the mixture into the bowl with the pistachios, digestives and marshmallows and mix really well to coat everything.
- Then tip the chocolate coated mixture into the foil lined tin and push down with a spoon to flatten. Work quickly here.
- Pour over the rest of the hot melted chocolate mixture so that everything is coated. Whilst the chocolate is still warm sprinkle over the saved broken pistachios.
- Place the tray of rocky roads in the fridge and leave to set for at least a couple of hours - it’s best if you can leave them overnight.
- Once the rocky roads are hard - slice them into 20 bars.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 1g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.