I am just loving this delicious Spanish chicken casserole, its really easy to make and is great for a Sunday when you want dinner to be a bit lazier than spending hours in the kitchen cooking up a roast.
Super tasty chicken casserole
- Splash of olive oil
- 1 red onion - diced
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- 1 Romano pepper - sliced
- 600g diced chicken breast
- 200g cooking chorizo sausages, sliced into discs
- 1/2 glass red wine
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley - chopped
- Heat the oven to 180C. I use a cast iron pan for this recipe that can be used on the hob and in the oven.
- Add a splash of oil to the pan and gently sauté the onions and garlic over a low heat for 5 -10 minutes.
- Tip in the diced chicken and seal the meat.
- Add the chorizo and cook gently for 5 minutes so the lovely smoky spicy flavour mixes with the chicken.
- Tip in the peppers and stir in the wine.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, smoked paprika and dried oregano. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the boiling water and bring the casserole to a gentle boil.
- Cook in the oven for around 1 hour 30 minutes until the chicken is lovely and tender and the casserole thickened.
- Sprinkle over chopped flat leaf parsley before serving.
Make Spanish chicken casserole your way
- Add in extra veggies – try courgettes or stretch the recipe to feed more by adding a tin of chickpeas.
- Make this a one pot meal and add in new potatoes to cook in the casserole – you’ll need to adjust the liquid maybe add a little stock and check the casserole doesn’t dry out whilst cooking.
How to serve Spanish chicken casserole
- Delicious for a laid back weekend dinner – serve with crispy lemon and rosemary roast potatoes or soft fluffy rice and a pile of fresh greens – broccoli, cabbage or green beans, simply dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and chopped capers.
- Leftovers are great in a baked potato next day or stirred through freshly cooked pasta.
You might also just love our super easy pasta pesto recipe