Our delicious turkey mince chilli switches the beef for healthy low fat turkey mince to make a lighter, healthier chilli con carne that tastes amazing!
There’s no skimping on the rich, meaty, full flavour of a proper chilli con carne with our healthier turkey mince recipe. The whole family will love this lighter, tasty dinner.
Our turkey mince chilli con carne is super easy to prepare and cook in the oven, leaving you free to get on with family life.
And turkey mince chilli is super versatile, there’s loads of ways to serve it and it freezes well, so any leftovers can be saved for another day.
Turkey mince chilli ingredients
- 1 tbs olive oil – switch this for sunflower oil or rapeseed oil if you prefer
- 1 onion – diced
- 500g turkey mince – I use turkey breast mince as it has a milder flavour and less fat – but the recipe works just as well with turkey thigh mince although it does have a higher fat content – usually around 7-9%
- 2 peppers – diced, I usually use a red and a green one, but it doesn’t really matter what colour you choose.
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder/granules – you can swap this for 1 clove of garlic finely chopped if you prefer.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chipotle chilli paste – you can pick this up most supermarkets, it’s a great way to add a whole lot of flavour with zero effort.
- 400g passata – choose one with added garlic and herbs. I usually use a can Mutti pizza sauce for this recipe it just adds a really rich, sweet taste.
- 200ml water – don’t add this if you’re cooking the turkey chilli in the slow cooker.
- Pinch of salt and ground black pepper
How to make turkey mince chilli
I use a casserole pan with a lid which is oven and hob safe to make my turkey-con-carne – if you don’t have one – brown the onions and mince in a frying pan and then tip into an oven proof casserole dish with a lid for cooking in the oven.
- Preheat the oven – heat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
- Sauté the onion and brown the turkey – add a splash of olive oil to a skillet and gently fry the onions and turkey mince for 5 minutes until the turkey mince whitens.
- Add the seasoning – add the garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano and chipotle chilli paste to the pan and stir.
- Add the peppers and passata – tip in the chopped peppers and pour in the passata, add 200ml of water, season with salt and black pepper then stir everything together gently.
- Cook in the oven – cover the casserole with a lid and cook in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Thicken the sauce (if necessary) – if you feel you need to thicken the sauce in the turkey mince chilli, simply do this with a couple of tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste with cold water and then stirred through the sauce to thicken.
How to make turkey chilli your way
You can add your own flair to our tasty turkey mince chilli – mix up the ingredients and add in extras that you like to eat
- Add more vegetables – fancy more veggies? Try adding mushrooms or sweetcorn.
- Bulk it up with beans – if you want the turkey chilli to feed more people, or last for another dinner, then bulk it up with beans – add a can or two of black beans or kidney beans.
- Go vegetarian – this is a great recipe for switching to vegetarian chilli because the added seasonings and paste work well with vegetarian mince. Just swap the turkey mince for your favourite vegetarian brand.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
What to serve with turkey mince chilli
Well, I don’t know about you but my family LOVE a side dish or two… so I tend to add a few to the table and let them all help themselves.
A big panful of turkey-con-carne is great served with any of the following
- Plain boiled rice
- Chunky oven chips
- Green salad
- Avocado chunks or guacamole
- Grated cheese
Browse all our meat recipes here
Different ways to serve chilli con carne
If you’re looking for different ways to sere and eat chilli then these are just DELICIOUS!
- We love turkey mince chilli loaded into crispy skinned oven baked potatoes topped with soured cream and grated cheddar.
- Try it loaded onto nachos with grated cheese, jalapeño, soured cream and salsa.
- Make it into Mexican style sloppy joes.
Get more Mexican recipes here
Can I cook turkey chilli in the slow cooker?
Yes you can cook our turkey mince chilli in the slow cooker. Think of it as a dump and go recipe.
Just add all the ingredients, excluding the extra 200ml of water to the slow cooker.
And cook on low for around 8 hours. One cooked thicken if necessary using cornflour.
Get all our delicious healthy turkey mince recipes here
Can I freeze turkey chilli?
Turkey mince chilli is a great meal to batch cook and freeze. It freezes well and tastes great when reheated later.
To freeze the turkey chilli just be sure to cool the chilli completely and safely, then once cool divide into freezer safe containers or freezer bags. Turkey chilli keeps well in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When reheating your turkey chilli be sure to defrost it thoroughly and safely and then reheat thoroughly to a minimum temperature of 82C.
Being sure to stir it properly whilst reheating – especially if reheating in the microwave as hot pockets can develop, so stirring regularly helps to heat evenly.
NEED SOME FAMILY MEAL IDEAS?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion - diced
- 500g turkey breast mince
- 2 peppers - diced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 400g passata
- 200ml water
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
- Next add a splash of olive oil to a skillet and gently fry the onions and turkey mince for 5 minutes until the turkey mince whitens.
- Add the garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano and chipotle chilli paste to the pan and stir.
- Tip in the chopped peppers and pour in the passata, add 200ml of water, season with salt and black pepper then stir everything together gently.
- Cover the casserole with a lid and cook in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Thicken the sauce (if necessary) – if you feel you need to thicken the sauce in the turkey mince chilli, simply do this with a couple of tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste with cold water and then stirred through the sauce to thicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 213mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 46g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our delicious, healthy turkey mince chilli recipe to Pinterest for your next Mexican night!