Simple and delicious Dutch style toasted ham and cheese sandwich recipe. Perfect for a quick lunch with a side of cornichons.
One of my favourite quick lunches toasted ham and cheese sandwich Dutch style!
I first had these amazingly tasty simple little toasted sandwiches whilst on a weekend in Amsterdam years ago… Just so good.
I make the sandwiches using the toasted sandwich cage in the Dualit toaster – sometimes they get a little burnt around the edges but this doesn’t bother me I like a little charing and it adds to the flavour.
Toasted Ham And Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
- 2 slices of tiger bread – I just love tiger bread toast it tastes so good – but you can switch the bread for any other you like.
- 30g butter
- 1 slice of Gouda cheese – you could also use Edam or Emmental they both work really well here.
- 2 slices of wafer thin ham
- 1/2 tsp of Dijon mustard – these sandwiches are also lush made with wholegrain mustard
- Small handful of cornichons – totally optional I just LOVE them
How Do You Make The BEST Toasted Ham And Cheese Sandwiches
You just can’t go wrong with hot ham and cheese sandwich recipes. Just add in any extra ingredients you fancy.
Simply – butter up two slices of tiger bread – place the buttered side down onto the cage.
Top the bread with wafer thin ham, a smattering of Dijon mustard and a slice of Gouda cheese.
Pop the other slice of bread on top, making sure the buttered side is facing the outside.
Then place in the toaster for around 2-3 minutes.
Once cooked just leave it there an extra few minutes just to melt the cheese nicely in the warmth.
How Do You Toast As Sandwich Without A Toaster
If you’ve not got a toasted sandwich cage just make these ham and cheese toasted sandwiches on a griddle pan – and weight them down with a heavy jar or tin, cook for a few minutes then flip and cook on the other side.
Now for a true Dutch style sandwich you really do need a little handful of these cornichons for added yum.
Now if you’re feeling you need a little extra decadence, then go gourmet with your ham and cheese toasted sandwich.
Serve the sandwich with a poached egg on top, so good with the yolk dripping down onto the bread. Honestly – you won’t regret it!
This is one of my favourite quick lunches, it’s just so good alongside a coffee or juice.
Get loads of lunch recipes and ideas here
More delicious sandwich recipes to make
- Tuna Cheese Melt – super tasty tuna cheese melts with a pesto twist, these melt baguettes are just so good! Great for lunch or serve for dinner alongside a portion of sweet potato wedges or waffle fries.
- Prawn and Dill Open Sandwiches – succulent tasty prawns tossed in a creamy lemon and dill dressing, piled onto hot buttered rye sourdough toast.
- Easy Vegetarian Wraps – Eat deliciously with our flavour packed satisfying vegetarian wraps filled with roast sweet potatoes, halloumi, hummus and salad. These are gorgeous eaten still a little warm when freshly made – or cold for lunch alongside a bean salad.
Love sandwiches – get lots more sandwich recipes and ideas here
Need Some Family Meal Ideas?
Check out our meal planning guide here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 2 slices of tiger bread
- 30g Butter
- 1 slice Gouda cheese
- 2 slices of wafer thin ham
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Small handful of cornichons
- Butter the bread
- Place the bread butter side down into the toasted sandwich cage.
- Top the unbuttered side with ham, mustard and cheese.
- Place the other piece of bread on top - butter side up.
- Put the toasted sandwich cage into the toaster and toast for 2-3 minutes until the bread is browned and the cheese melting.
- Serve with a little pile of cornichons.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 709Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 183mgSodium: 2164mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 43g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Get more toastie ideas and recipes here
Save our delicious toasted ham and cheese sandwich to Pinterest for later!