A tasty vibrant beetroot salad with chickpeas and spinach – naturally vegan our beetroot salad is simple to make and great served with any dinner.
Beetroot Salad Recipe
Throw together our fresh and tasty beetroot salad in just minutes. Bursting with lovely earthy flavours, served with a quick and easy salad dressing. It’s a delicious, moreish salad that’s great for summer.
It tastes so good alongside our simple cheese and potato tart.
I love to make this salad in the summer months, it just goes well with so many dishes and because of the added chickpeas it really filling too.
Beetroot Salad Vegan Recipe
Our beetroot salad is naturally vegan and as it’s served with chickpeas it’s got the benefit of being protein rich, as well as being substantial and filling.
So it’s a delicious as an easy lunch idea. You can also pack this into lunchboxes.
Beetroot Salad Dressing
Our beetroot salad is dressed really simply with a Balsamic and French mustard dressing – the dressing is homemade, quick and totally delicious.
You can swap and change the dressing you choose to use, just pick your favourite.
Get more easy lunch recipes here
Beetroot Salad With Feta
You could easily make our beetroot salad with feta or halloumi cheese if you prefer.
Just add grilled halloumi or crumbled feta cheese and serve with crusty bread as a complete main course salad.
You could also serve our beetroot salad with a yogurt dressing or side serving of cucumber mint raita and maybe add a pitta bread or small warmed naan alongside.
Leftovers are great the next day too – add a few chunky croutons or maybe an extra scattering of cheese.
Get more easy salad recipes here
Beetroot Salad Ingredients
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients to make this delicious vegan salad recipe.
- 100g baby spinach leaves – you could use baby herb leaf salad if you prefer or a mix of both.
- 400g tinned chickpeas – it’s always good to keep canned chickpeas in at home – they’re fab for making quick curries or adding to pasta, casseroles or stew to bulk them up.
- 250g cooked beetroot – it’s nice to use baby beetroot for this recipe – just simply sliced (see cooks tip below)
- 1 tbs olive oil – I use extra virgin olive oil for this recipe, but you can use rapeseed oil if you prefer.
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar – I keep a bottle of Belazu Balsamic Vinegar in at home, it’s lush and I use it in so many things, but most of all my favourite way to use it is simply drizzled on tomatoes with olive oil and basil. Simple and perfect.
- 1 tsp Wholegrain mustard – Maille wholegrain mustard is my favourite and the one I use to make the dressing for this salad.
- salt and black pepper
Cooks Tip! How To Prepare Beetroot
If you are preparing your beetroot from raw – just follow the instructions below for perfectly cooked beets every time.
- Wash the beetroot – wash the beetroot under running water and scrub the skins gently using a vegetable brush to remove any dirt and soil.
- Trim the beetroot – cut off the top stalks and the straggly roots at the bottom but do not peel the skins.
- How to boil beetroot – place the beetroot into a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring the pan to the boil and then reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook with the lid on for around 30 – 40 minutes. The beetroot is cooked when it’s tender throughout. You can check this by inserting a sharp knife.
Cooks Tip! When cooking baby beetroot and smaller beets, adjust the cooking time as they’ll take less time to cook through.
- Drain the beetroot – once cooked through, drain the beets using a colander and then let them cool down until you can handle them.
- Peel the beetroot – simply peel the skins using a sharp vegetable knife. Then you can store the beetroot in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Chopping board
- Sharp vegetable knife
- Serving platter
- Small bowl or cup
How To Make Beetroot And Chickpea Salad
You’re going to just love how simple this salad is to make and how delicious it is to eat!
- Firstly mix up the simple salad dressing. Just add the olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper to a small cup or bowl.
- Then whisk the salad dressing ingredients together – with a spoon or fork to combine the ingredients together well.
- Slice or dice the cooked beetroot – whichever you prefer.
- Scatter the baby spinach leaves – over a large serving plate or platter.
- Next scatter the sliced beetroot – over the baby spinach leaves on the serving plate.
- Scatter the drained tinned chickpeas – over the beetroot and spinach salad. I tend to rinse the chickpeas under running water then drain well before adding them to the salad.
- Drizzle the salad dressing over the salad and serve straight away. When I pack the salad in lunchboxes I add the dressing in a little pot so it can be drizzled over the salad just before eating. Otherwise the salad will go soggy.
What To Eat With Beetroot Salad
Our delicious beetroot salad is great a a main course vegan dish, or as a side dish to roast chicken or grilled fish.
You could also serve our tasty beetroot and chickpea salad as part of a tapas spread alongside a delicious aubergine and tomato stew, a basket of warmed ciabatta slices, some sizzled padron peppers and spicy pan fried prawns with chilli and herbs.
More Vegan Salad Recipes You Need On Your Plate!
If you love vegan salad recipes then we’ve got three of our favourites below, they’re all super filling and super tasty. Perfect for summer.
- Falafel Pitta Bowl – a delicious, healthy lunch recipe you can make quickly – great for a healthy packed lunch – you can make this lunchbowl even faster by using a pack of ready to eat falafel.
- Couscous Salad with Roast Vegetables – delicious roast vegetable couscous salad, easy to make and delicious to eat. You can add a sprinkling of toasted nuts to keep it vegan. I like to serve this alongside roast chicken or grilled fish.
- Easy Bean Salad – super quick and easy bean and sweetcorn salad with zingy dressing. This one is great as a BBQ side dish it goes so well with hot dogs and burgers.
More Beetroot Recipes To Make
I love to include beetroot in recipes, I love the earthy flavours and vibrant pink colours.
- Beetroot Hummus with Sweet Chilli Twist – delicious, vibrant beetroot hummus, perfect with breadsticks or crackers.
- Spelt Salad with Halloumi and Baby Beets – quick and easy lunch recipe using cheat ingredients.
- Raw Beet Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing (ad feature recipe) – healthy raw beetroot salad with delicious dressing.
Need Some Family Meal Ideas?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planner tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
Yes – sure you can and it’s delicious! Wash and peel the beetroot first, then simply slice into matchsticks or grate into your chosen salad recipe. We think you might like our raw beet salad with creamy lemon dressing (ad feature recipe)
Beetroot contains more nutrients and antioxidants when eaten raw and the longer you boil beets for the more of the goodness is lost into the cooking water.
It’s down to personal preference with this one. Boiled is easy and gives you nice sliced beets you can dress, soak in vinegar or use in salads and sandwiches.
Roasted beets are deliciously sweet but you do have to take into account the added calories from the oil/fat which you roast the beets in. Try out our Autumn salad here with roasted beets.
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 400g tinned chickpeas
- 250g cooked beetroot
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Scatter the baby spinach, chickpeas and cooked beetroot on to a large serving plate.
- Mix a quick salad dressing - simply whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad just before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 233mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 10gSugar: 10gProtein: 11g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our delicious vegan beetroot salad to Pinterest for later!