Quick and easy bean burgers make a fab vegetarian dinner. Simple to make, simple to cook, just the matter of loading up the toppings and making it your own.
You’ll just need to gently fry a chopped onion and garlic, blitz a couple of tins of kidney beans in the food processor to a rough pulsed texture, mix this together in a bowl with the onion and garlic and a handful of breadcrumbs.
Add a little more flavour with smoked paprika and dried oregano a pinch of salt and a grind of black pepper. I don’t add egg but if your mixture is looking a little dry – add a beaten egg to bind.
Form into patties and leave them in the fridge wrapped in clingfilm until you’re ready to cook.
To cook you can either fry in a little olive oil, or brush with olive oil and bake in the oven or grill.
To serve stuff them into burger rolls (I quite like the new burger thins from Kingsmill) add some salad and top with cheese, onions, tomatoes and a squeeze of ketchup and mustard. You can also add a side of potato wedges or coleslaw.
Easy bean burgers - fab veggie family dinner
- Onion - finely chopped
- Garlic - finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 2 tins of kidney beans
- Handful of breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until softened. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile - blitz the kidney beans in a food processor to a rough chunky puree.
- Tip the bean puree, onions, garlic and breadcrumbs into a mixing bowl, add the smoked paprika,oregano and salt and pepper. If your mixture looks a little dry add some beaten egg.
- Form the mixture into patties with lightly floured hands.
- Pop the burgers into the fridge wrapped in clingfilm until ready to cook.
- To cook either fry in a little olive oil for 5 minutes each side until warmed through or brush with olive oi and bake in the oven on 180C for around 15 minutes until cooked through.
To serve stuff into burger rolls and add the toppings of your choice.
Make it your way…
- Go spicy and add some chilli flakes
- Mix up your beans and try 1 tin of kidney and 1 tin of butter beans
- Be cheesy and grate some halloumi or feta into the burger mixture.