A tasty, colourful Easy Bean Salad that’s perfect for summer BBQs, picnics or just as a healthy side dish alongside a weeknight dinner.
How to make easy bean salad
Well… bean salad is one of those salads where you can pretty much just throw in whatever you fancy, you can make it as simple or loaded as you like!
I use canned beans in my salads just because I want them ready simply, quickly and often last minute.
I like to use a mixture of beans, sweetcorn, celery, salad onions and finely chopped peppers to add a pop of colour as well as extra taste. I drizzle over some good dressing – usually a nice Italian Vinaigrette to keep it light and healthy. I love the Italian Vinaigrette from Epicurious – simple and delicious, but if you’ve not time to make your own, just grab a good store bought bottle.
Fresh and tasty bean salad that's perfect for summer
- 400g can Borlotti beans (or use chickpeas, cannellini beans, black beans or kidney beans)
- 300g can sweetcorn
- 1 red pepper - finely diced
- 4 salad onions - finely sliced
- 2-3 sticks celery - finely sliced
- Handful of mixed chopped herbs - I usually use Basil, Flat Leaf Parsley, Chives, Dill
- 3-4 tbs Italian dressing
- Mix together the beans, sweetcorn and salad vegetables in a bowl.
- Scatter over the herbs (saving some for garnish)
- Pour over the dressing and stir through gently to coat everything.
- Add the herb garnish.
How long can I keep bean salad in the fridge?
When using canned beans – check the side of the can for details but it’s usually 2 days in the fridge.
Is bean salad good for you?
Totally! Beans are packed with fibre, B vitamins, protein and iron as well as being low fat. Our Easy Bean Salad is also naturally vegan.
What other veggies can I put in bean salad?
You can add in whatever you like – try…
- different types of beans
- different coloured peppers
- beetroot cubes
- grated carrot or beets
- finely chopped fennel
- grated courgettes
How to serve bean salad
Our Easy Bean Salad is great alongside BBQ food or with picnics, it’s nice as an addition to packed lunches. We also love this just as a summery side dish with meat or chicken.
More easy salad recipes for you to try…
- Potato Salad with Radish and Herbs
- Carrot and Quinoa Salad
- Homemade Healthy Coleslaw (advertisement feature recipe)