Really easy cheese and onion pie recipe – cheat your way to a super simple pie using ready made puff pastry.
This is the easiest cheese and onion pie you can make. So simple and so tasty.
The cheese and onion pie makes a delicious summery dinner. Just slice and serve with a huge bowl of salad, chutney and maybe some creamy potato salad as a little extra.
Make our easy pie your way…
- fancy some meat – add in some cooked strips of bacon
- want more veggies – stir in some cooked beans (I quite like baked beans in this pie)
- leftovers are delicious cold next day
More easy puff pastry recipes to try
- Posh sausage rolls – oh just the BEST sausage roll recipe. Little puff pastry rolls stuffed with sausage meat, cheese and chutney. Too GOOD!
- Minced beef pie – savoury mince beef pie made in the slow cooker, then topped with a puff pastry crust and finished in the oven. Proper comfort food.
- Roast squash and feta pie – a beautiful summery pie, filled with roasted squash and red pepper, feta and herbs. Delicious!
Get more cheesy recipes here
- 1 pack puff pastry
- 150g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 medium potatoes
- sprig rosemary
- tbs olive oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into 1cm cubes and parboil for 5 minutes in salted water.
- Meanwhile peel and slice the onions and garlic and finely chop the rosemary leaves.
- Warm a splash of olive oil in a frying pan and gently cook the onions and garlic until softened.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to the onions and garlic, stir in the chopped rosemary.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Roll out the pastry into a rough rectangle shape at each side of the pastry make cuts from the edge of the pastry inwards making sure you leave a good 5 inch section down the centre uncut so that you can put your pie filling onto the uncut column.
- Mix the grated cheese into the onion and potato mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture down the centre of the pastry in a neat pile
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg and then bring the pastry strips over the mixture to make criss cross effect, tucking under the ends to stop the filling escaping.
- Brush the whole pie with beaten egg and bake in the oven for around 15 -20 minutes until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Love pie? Get our BEST pie recipes here!
Get all our delicious vegetarian recipes here