This is the easiest cheese and onion pie you can make. So simple and so tasty.
The cheese and onion pie makes a delicious summery dinner. Just slice and serve with a huge bowl of salad, chutney and maybe some creamy potato salad as a little extra.
Quick and easy cheese and onion pie
- 1 pack of puff pastry
- 3 large handfuls of grated cheese (whichever you prefer)
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 medium potatoes
- sprig of rosemary
- olive oil
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into 1cm cubes and parboil for 5 minutes in salted water.
- Meanwhile peel and slice the onions and garlic and finely chop the rosemary leaves.
- Warm a splash of olive oil in a frying pan and gently cook the onions and garlic until softened.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to the onions and garlic, stir in the chopped rosemary.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Roll out the pastry into a rough rectangle shape at each side of the pastry make cuts from the edge of the pastry inwards making sure you leave a good 5 inch section down the centre uncut so that you can put your pie filling onto the uncut column.
- Mix the grated cheese into the onion and potato mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture down the centre of the pastry in a neat pile
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg and then bring the pastry strips over the mixture to make criss cross effect, tucking under the ends to stop the filling escaping.
- Brush the whole pie with beaten egg and bake in the oven for around 15 -20 minutes until golden brown.
Make it your way…
- fancy some meat – add in some cooked strips of bacon
- want more veggies – stir in some cooked beans (I quite like baked beans in this pie)
- leftovers are delicious cold next day