Really easy cheese and onion pie recipe – cheat your way to a super simple pie using ready made puff pastry.
This is the easiest cheese and onion pie you can make. So simple and so tasty.
The cheese and onion pie makes a delicious summery dinner. Just slice and serve with a huge bowl of salad, chutney and maybe some creamy potato salad as a little extra.
Make our easy pie your way…
- fancy some meat – add in some cooked strips of bacon
- want more veggies – stir in some cooked beans (I quite like baked beans in this pie)
- leftovers are delicious cold next day
More easy puff pastry recipes to try
- Posh sausage rolls – oh just the BEST sausage roll recipe. Little puff pastry rolls stuffed with sausage meat, cheese and chutney. Too GOOD!
- Minced beef pie – savoury mince beef pie made in the slow cooker, then topped with a puff pastry crust and finished in the oven. Proper comfort food.
- Roast squash and feta pie – a beautiful summery pie, filled with roasted squash and red pepper, feta and herbs. Delicious!
- 1 pack puff pastry
- 150g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 medium potatoes
- sprig rosemary
- tbs olive oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into 1cm cubes and parboil for 5 minutes in salted water.
- Meanwhile peel and slice the onions and garlic and finely chop the rosemary leaves.
- Warm a splash of olive oil in a frying pan and gently cook the onions and garlic until softened.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to the onions and garlic, stir in the chopped rosemary.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Roll out the pastry into a rough rectangle shape at each side of the pastry make cuts from the edge of the pastry inwards making sure you leave a good 5 inch section down the centre uncut so that you can put your pie filling onto the uncut column.
- Mix the grated cheese into the onion and potato mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture down the centre of the pastry in a neat pile
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg and then bring the pastry strips over the mixture to make criss cross effect, tucking under the ends to stop the filling escaping.
- Brush the whole pie with beaten egg and bake in the oven for around 15 -20 minutes until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.