Making cheese on toast in the air fryer is super easy, super quick and absolutely delicious! Plus you can add extra toppings!
So if you’ve been wondering “Can you do cheese on toast in an air fryer?” The answer is a BIG YES! Here’s how to do it, and tricks to make it taste oh so good!
It’s so easy to do air fryer cheese on toast, it makes a great after school snack for kids, fuel teens when they’re back from the gym or football, or just snuggle up on the sofa with a plate of melty, cheesy toast and Netflix binge.
And it’s perfect for dunking in our hearty Italian-style white bean soup.
Making Air Fryer Cheese On Toast Is A Good Thing, Here’s Why!
Quick and easy! – This delicious cheese on toast will be ready to eat in just minutes! And it’s super easy to make!
No-mess – it’s a mess free way to make a quick snack.
Add extra toppings – Hey! This is your cheese on toast, if you want extras on it, pop them on!
Air Fryer Cheese On Toast Recipe
Serves – 1 person
Prep Time – 1 minute
Cook Time – 6-7 minutes
Total Time – around 8 minutes
Our Most Popular Alternative – Air Fryer Panini
- Air Fryer we use a Ninja Foodi Max Dual Zone Air Fryer – the 9.5 litre two drawer cooking space is BRILLIANT when you’re cooking for a family. And it makes cooking meat, chicken or fish and potatoes at the same time super easy!
- Bread board
- Cheese grater
- Butter knife
Grab our guide to Air Fryer Accessories You Actually Need (and will use) right here!
Air Fryer Cheese On Toast Ingredients
You’ll only need three simple, everyday ingredients to make this yummy air fryer cheese on toast
- 2 slices of bread – just choose whichever bread you like, we use sliced bloomer.
- 60g Cheddar cheese grated – you can swap this for any other good melting cheese, Red Leicester or Creamy Lancashire cheese also work well.
- 1 knob butter (around 25g)
Optional – if you’re making air fryer cheese on toast UK style, then you really need to add a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce.
For nutrient and calories information see recipe card below
How To Make Cheese On Toast In The Air Fryer
Okay, this couldn’t be easier! Just follow the simple instructions below and your grilled cheese air fryer toast will be perfect!
Step One – butter the bread
- Butter the bread on one side only and place the bread into the air fryer butter side down. This just makes sure that the base of the toast is crispy and delicious!
Step Two – toast the bread in the air fryer
- Air fry on 200C for 4 minutes. Or until the top of the bread is just starting to colour and the bottom nice and crispy.
Step Three – add the grated cheese
- Press the grated cheddar cheese into the toasted top of the bread (by pressing it into the bread it helps stop it flying off as you air fry)
Step Four – cook the cheese on toast in the air fryer
- Then put the cheese on toast back into the air fryer for a further 2-3 minutes until melted, bubbling and browning. Then remove from the air fryer and serve.
You can join our easy air fryer recipes group on Facebook here! We’d love for you to share photos of your air fryer cooking!
What To Serve With Cheese on Toast
You can eat your cheese on toast just as it is, or make it more of a meal – like this!
Soup – cheese on toast is the perfect side dish to a big bowl of tomato or vegetable soup. Perfect for dunking.
Beans – serve your air fryer grilled cheese with a pot of baked beans for dunking and dipping.
Get more air fryer snacks here
5 Tasty Air Fryer Cheese On Toast Ideas To Try
Just because we’re cooking up a basic air fryer cheese on toast recipe, doesn’t mean you can’t try out different topping ideas! You can be as fancy or as basic as you like!
Cheddar And Red Onion – top your toast with grated mature Cheddar cheese and either thinly sliced red onions, or dollop on some red onion chutney.
Stilton And Pear – top your toasted bead with crumbled stilton cheese and a thin slices of pear. Grill and dig in.
Wensleydale And Cranberry – a delicious tangy salty, sweet combo. Top the toast with crumbly Wensleydale cheese and add a few spoonfuls of cranberry sauce, grill until it all melts together deliciously.
Cheese And Ham – top your bread with grated cheese, Cheddar is great for cheese on toast, then add some pulled ham, grill until the cheese is melted and the ham heated through properly.
Goats Cheese And Caramelised Onions – slice up some Mediterranean style bread, olive bread is good or slices of ciabatta. Then top with crumbled feta cheese, and some caramelised onion chutney. Air fry until it all melts together delicious. Add some fresh rocket and dig in!
Get Our Easy Ranch Chicken Sandwich Recipes Here
Tasty Tips From Our Kitchen To Make Your Air Fryer Cheese On Toast Perfect Every Time !
Little tips, that make a big difference!
Grate or crumble the cheese – grated and crumbled cheese just works better in the air fryer than thick slices.
Always press the cheese into the bread – the air flow in air fryers can be a bit strong for cheese and blow it off the bread. By pressing it in, you help it stay on so it melts on the bread and not in the air fryer basket.
Make sure toppings are thin – if you’re adding toppings be sure to slice them really thinly. They just cook better and at the same time as the cheese melts.
Get all our Air Fryer UK recipes here!
Need Some Family Meal Ideas?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes and family meal ideas your whole family will LOVE!
- 2 slices of bread
- 60g Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 knob butter (around 25g)
- Butter the bread on one side and place the bread into the air fryer butter side down.
- Air fry on 200C for 4 minutes.
- Press the cheese into the toasted top of the bread (by pressing it into the bread it helps stop it flying off as you air fry)
- Then put the cheese on toast back into the air fryer for a further 2-3 minutes until melted and browning.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 509Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 787mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.