It’s super easy to make falafel and treat yourself to a healthy, vegetarian meal. Our falafel go great in salads, wraps or serve with a yogurt dip for an easy midweek dinner.
What’s in falafel?
It’s a mixture of chickpeas and finely chopped onions with spices like ground cumin and smoked paprika.
How to make falafel
The spicy falafels are super easy to make and cook. I must admit they’re easier to make if you have a food processor.
Pulse the onion and garlic a few times in the food processor then gently fry in some hot olive oil until softened. Meanwhile pulse the chickpeas a few times so they’re roughly mashed. Tip them into a bowl and add the fried onions and garlic, the smoked paprika, cumin, beaten egg, gram flour and season with salt and pepper.
Mix everything together gently then make patties using your hands and fry in olive oil for 3-4 minutes on each side, soak the oil off them by placing them onto kitchen paper after frying.
Quick and easy vegetarian snack
- 2 tins of chickpeas
- 3 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1/2 onion - finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large egg - beaten
- 2 heaped tbs of gram flour (you can use plain wheat flour if you have no gram)
- salt and pepper
- oil to fry
- Add a splash of oil to a frying pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until softened.
- Place the chickpeas into the blender and pulse a few times or you can put them in a large mixing bowl and mash roughly with a potato masher.
- Add the onion, garlic, spices, gram flour and beaten egg - mix gently to combine.
- Form the mixture into small patties using your hands. Then fry in olive oil for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown.
Can I put vegetables into falafel?
Yes! You can add in whatever you like – in fact you can change the flavours to suit your tastes really easily. Try…
- adding in some cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- skipping the spice and just going for smoked paprika for a lovely smoky flavour
- what more spice? Just add in some finely chopped chilli or pink of red pepper flakes
- want your falafel cheesy? Just grate in some halloumi
- make your falafel into bigger patties and serve as burgers
What to serve with falafel
There’s loads of ways to serve your falafel from just plain straight up how they come from the pan to one of these delicious ways below….
- turn them into falafel burgers and make the patties bigger and burger shaped – serve on a toasted sesame bun with fresh salad, ketchup and onion rings
- serve with salad, in a pitta or wrapped in a warmed flatbread with shredded carrots, cabbage, salad and a yogurt dressing.
- serve as part of a mezze
- or just as a snack with any kind of dip you like – BBQ and spicy chilli jam work well